WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Jan. 29, 2016

laurels_and_darts

BALANCE THAT SHEET

Beta Alpha Psi is an organization within the Rutgers Business School for financial information students and professionals. As tax season looms, IRS-certified volunteers from the society assist moderate-income local residents with their tax preparation through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). Although it's known as an honors society for academic excellence, we laurel its members for their outstanding character.

ANTIBIOTIC (AB)USES

Antibiotics have a critical role in the health of animals and humans, but their modern overuse is partly the cause for the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. The New Jersey Public Interest Research Group (NJPIRG) Rutgers student chapter attracted attention to how 70 percent of antibiotics are sold in factory farms that use antibiotics on animals that aren't even sick. We dart factory farms for their haphazard use of medicine, as well as fast-food chains like KFC that buy produce from these farms and thereby condone their actions.

RUTGERS REBUTTING

The round robin debates are exclusive tournaments that are open to only 16 debaters across the country, and the Rutgers—Newark Debate Team is one of the few invited to participate in the prestigious competition. The Rutgers team will will be joining debaters who hail from other Big Ten Schools, as well as Ivy League universities. We laurel the Rutgers—Newark Debate team for their accomplishments.

BRING SNAP BACK, #CLAPBACK

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would've given back about $90 worth of food stamps to 160,000 of New Jersey residents, and the State Assembly failed to override his veto. The Assembly fell short of the 54 "yes" votes from the 80-member assembly with 43-21 and seven abstentions. We dart both Christie and the Assembly for reducing the quality of livelihood for low-income senior citizens, disabled citizens and children.

BOTTOMS UP

Tailgates for football games are a classic collegiate past time, and the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) sought to capitalize from it. RUSA debated an alcohol bill that recommends the University sell alcohol in stadiums and donate the proceeds to Counseling, ADAP and Psychiatric Services (CAPS). There are many who have benefitted from consulting professionals at CAPS, so we laurel RUSA for considering a bill to improve the CAPS's funding and its capacity to assist students with their mental health.

CAUGHT SLIPPIN'

Although many anticipated classes to be cancelled, students begrudgingly dragged themselves to classes on Monday when it was announced they were still in session. Struggling to get to the City of New Brunswick was difficult for commuters, but it shouldn't have been as much of a struggle to get to classes for students who were already on campus. We dart the University for not properly paving roads and sidewalks in a timely manner, and causing students and staff to flounder and slip as they traversed campus.

___