Winter Storm Jonas forces Blizzard Watch in New Jersey

onlinesnowfatima
Photo by Fatima Farhat |

Up to 8 inches of snow are expected from Winter Storm Jonas, which will hit between Friday night and Saturday morning. The storm will clear up by Sunday morning.

Winter Storm Jonas is expected to hit Rutgers University late Friday or early Saturday with up to 8 inches of snow, said Britney Truempy, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior and member of the Rutgers Meteorology Club.

“The higher, more substantial totals are going to be to our south,” she said in an email.

The center of the storm is located perfectly to force heavy winds from the ocean into New Jersey, Truempy said. Some regions may experience flooding.

“The key reason (the coastal flood warning) is in place is due to the position of the center of this low pressure system that is causing this snow,” she said.

The same winds are responsible for the blizzard watch, and may lead to reduced visibility during the storm.

“Blizzard conditions have more to do with the visibility and snow pick-up due to wind than actual snow totals,” Truempy said.

If the storm causes blackouts, people may begin using portable generators to provide power and heat. A press release by the New Jersey Department of Health “reminds residents … to follow manufacturer’s guidelines and safety precautions.”

There were several carbon monoxide deaths after Superstorm Sandy due to improper use of generators, said Cathleen Bennett, acting health commissioner for New Jersey. Another 400 residents were treated for carbon monoxide exposure.

The snow is expected to begin on Friday or Friday evening, with the bulk of the storm hitting on Saturday, according to weather.com. Skies will clear up by Sunday.

Nikhilesh De