Political Review | Feb. 25, 2016

There are 101 days left before the New Jersey primary for the 2016 elections, and so far, four different states have begun voting. Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and Republicans in South Carolina have caucused or voted for their preferred candidate, with Democrats in South Carolina being the next to vote.

Businessman Donald Trump has won 3 out of 4 of his contests, earning 82 delegates toward the Republican nomination. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) won the last, earning eight delegates from Iowa and a total of 17 delegates overall. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) has 16 pledged delegates, Ohio Gov. John Kasich has six and neurosurgeon Ben Carson has four.

The Republican candidates need 1,237 total delegates to earn the nomination.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has won 2 out of 3 total Democratic contests, earning 505 delegates, 453 of whom are superdelegates. Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) won New Hampshire, earning 71 delegates, 20 of whom are superdelegates.

Superdelegates are tentatively pledged towards one candidate but have the power to change their vote at their discretion, regardless of which candidate has the popular vote.

The Democratic candidate needs 2,383 delegates to win the nomination.

After South Carolina Democrats, the next set of primaries will occur on March 1, or Super Tuesday. Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Colorado Democrats and Alaska Republicans will all vote on Tuesday.

Nikhilesh De