Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics announces grant for Washington, D.C. internships

ruth

Ruth Mandel, director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics, announced a new project to help students intern in Washington D.C. on Tuesday night.

The Eagleton Institute of Politics recently opened applications for one-time summer internship grants, said Eagleton Director Ruth Mandel at Sen. Cory Booker's (D-N.J.) book signing on Tuesday night. 

Eagleton will be celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, and has been linking the study of politics with its day-to-day practice, Mandel said.

“We are marking the institute’s anniversary by creating an exciting opportunity for Rutgers undergraduates. We really want to help the process of education and engagement, we want them to be able to take advantage of … summer internships in Washington, D.C.," she said.

The project is designed to build a summer internship program, for which Eagleton is raising funds to cover the living expenses of students while they are in Washington, she said.

The Rutgers—Eagleton Washington Internship Award Program provides one-time grants of $5,000 to outstanding Rutgers undergraduate students for summer internships in the government, public service and non-profit sectors in Washington, D.C., according to Eagleton’s website.

The monetary award is meant to ease the financial burden of working in Washington, and is intended to offset living expenses, according to the website.

“This is a project that’s very close to our hearts, and one for which we need help,” she said. 

____

Alexandra DeMatos is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore double-majoring in journalism and media studies and political science. She is the copy editor of The Daily Targum.

Alexandra DeMatos