Rutgers students hope to compete in Red Bull competition

red_bull

Courtesy of Jennifer Segal | Sarah Crisci (left), Colton Kelly (center) and Jennifer Segal (right) are competing in the “Red Bull Can You Make It?” contest, and are hoping to travel through Europe for it.

Many college students dream of traveling through Europe, but they generally plan to have money and the other benefits of living in the 21st century as they do it. One team from Rutgers hopes to travel across the continent with nothing more than a case of Red Bull and a single smartphone.

As part of the "Red Bull Can You Make It?” competition, three students are running to win the opportunity to compete in this event, said Sarah Crisci, a School of Engineering senior. She is competing with Jennifer Segal and Colton Kelly, both Rutgers Business School juniors.

“We will get sent to Europe and once we’re there, Red Bull will take our phones, money, things like that and give us a case of (their drink) and a smartphone,” she said. “And we’ll have to get around Europe.”

Along with her teammates, Crisci will have to convince local residents to help her out, as they try to beat 164 other teams to the destination in Paris.

There will be 16 teams from the United States in this international contest, she said. Four will come from the East Coast of the nation.

These four will be selected out of the top 18 teams voted for online, she said. Right now the Rutgers team, “Two and a Half Blondes,” is ranked No. 15, with representatives from Rowan University placed first.

Voting continues until Feb. 25.

The trip itself lasts a week, and will go through seven or eight different countries, she said. Red Bull is working with a travel agency to help the teams that compete make their way across borders.

The team is excited to compete, she said.

“I think all three of us are really adventurous and if we can accomplish (the challenge), it’ll be really exciting,” she said. “Having a sense of adventure, being outgoing and not being afraid of speaking to (strangers) I think is important.”

____

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior. He is the news editor of The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De