Obtain rock solid abs of steel by this spring break

ib_lifestyle

With warm weather and brighter days approaching, students know the semester is coming up on it's midpoint, meaning that spring break is right around the corner. Spring break means being able to sleep in and maybe even lounge around on a beach somewhere. Some students dread the week-long stretch of beach relaxation, maybe as a result of losing their beach body due to partying every weekend and consuming more dining hall food than one can imagine.

Although it seems close, it is still possible to achieve six-pack abs by the time spring break rolls around. Here are some accessible, healthy foods that you can find in all the campus dining halls that will help you get the beach body of your dreams.

Berries

A perfect, quick snack to munch on when you’re craving something sweet. An assortment ranging from strawberries, blueberries and even blackberries can be found in any dining hall on campus. They help prevent cravings and have tons of fiber, which makes them an ideal snack to keep the pounds off and the urge to splurge.

Water

Don’t take drinking water for granted when it comes to weight loss. It lowers the amount of fat stored in your body by letting your liver do its job. It also burns stored fat for energy. In addition to fat burning, water suppresses appetite by creating the feeling of fullness. Drinking one glass of water before a meal is a practical way to keep you from overeating.

Green tea

Green tea is one of the healthiest beverages on the planet, considering it is loaded with antioxidants and various other nutrients that are beneficial for health and weight loss. It contains caffeine, which is a well-known stimulant that aids in burning fat and boosting the metabolism. 

Bananas

Bananas are the perfect food to eat when feeling bloated. They reduce belly bloat and increase fullness, making them the perfect breakfast. Next time you’re at the dining hall reaching for a danish, grab a banana with a scoop of peanut butter instead.

Eggs

Eggs are perfect for building muscle. They contain vitamin B12, which your body needs to metabolize fat. Eggs are the perfect food to eat for breakfast, because they jump start your metabolism, and you also get a daily does of protein.

Whole grains

The right kinds of carbs are actually good for you, despite what fad diets may say. Choose whole grains such as oatmeal, quinoa and brown rice. Their fiber keeps you from getting hungry. They’ll make you feel fuller faster, thus preventing overeating throughout the day.

Lean meats

Your body burns more calories digesting protein than carbs or fat. Want the leanest meat out there? Opt for tuna and salmon, they’re full of omega-3 fatty acids. They may help prevent stress chemicals that promote fat around the abdominal. They’ll help tone you up while burning fat.

Hot peppers

Capsaicin, the compound that gives chili peppers their kick, heats up your body, which makes you melt additional calories and boost your metabolism. Peppers, cayenne or hot sauce can be found in any of the dining halls. They can be added to your eggs or meats to give them a nice, zesty kick.

Almonds/nuts

Go nuts! They slim your tummy by keeping it full. Skip the salted nuts and go for some plain almonds or cashews. Not only do they fill you up, but they also reduce your cravings throughout the rest of the day. This makes them a sufficient, convenient snack when running back and forth between classes.

Beans

Low-cal and packed with protein and fiber, beans help you tone up and lose weight with just one bean-heavy dish a week. Substituting meat with beans once or twice a week cuts a lot of saturated fat out of your diet and replaces it with fiber, making your body run more efficiently.

Meghan Lloyd