U. research methods should be cruelty-free

Letter to the Editor

I was happy to see the Targum publish an op-ed by an alumna on the cruelty and ineffectiveness of experiments on animals, including at Rutgers.

Each year in the United States, around 100 million animals — including rats, mice, dogs, cats, rabbits and monkeys — are tormented in laboratories where they are confined to small, barren cages, cut into, poisoned, addicted to drugs, infected with diseases and killed.

At Rutgers, experimenters examining sepsis burned rats by placing them in scalding hot water and cut into them before killing and dissecting them. In another experiment, experimenters put mustard gas into rabbits’ eyes and later killed them and removed their eyes.

In experiments like these, pain relievers aren’t required nor are the use of more effective non-animal alternatives. And the majority of animals in laboratories — including mice and rats — are not even protected by the only federal law concerning the treatment of animals in laboratories.

Fortunately, more and more scientists are now using faster, cheaper and superior non-animal research methods like organs-on-chips — first developed at Harvard — that use human cells and tissues to study diseases and test treatments.

It’s time Rutgers fully embraces these cutting-edge, animal-free research methods and leave behind cruel and antiquated experiments on animals.

Ngoc Kim is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior majoring in ecology, evolution and natural resources. She is president of the Rutgers Veg Society.

_____

Ngoc Kim