WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 1, 2016

laurels_and_darts

GROWTH FOR WOMEN IN STEM

In an engineering lecture hall, it's not unusual to see specks of women in a sea of men. That's because women are underrepresented in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields, and a new campaign, #stemHERstoryRU, brings awareness to this issue by having having several photo booths set up where people say why they are an ally in the movement or why they are in STEM. We laurel Busch Campus Partners for helping create this important program.

THAT'S JUST THE WAY THE BALL BOUNCES

John Carlos, Olympic medalist and social justice activist, spoke on a panel about the unionization of athletics. Carlos proposes that student-athletes be considered workers. This is a complex issue, and while we don't entirely disagree with him, if students get paid for athletic participation, then even more of our tuition money will be put toward athletics. We dart the lose-lose situation in which student-athletes are exploited, but on the other hand, there will be a disproportionate amount of tuition dollars going to athletics rather than other departments.

GLOBAL TO LOCAL

The University prides itself on its diversity, and various cultural celebrations on campus affirm the beauty of this institution's heterogeneity. Two exciting events occurred on Monday: the Sakura Matsuri event, modeled after the Japanese celebration of the full bloom of cherry blossoms, and Carnaval, which shows a glimpse of the culture of Portuguese-speaking countries. We laurel the plethora and multiplicity of Rutgers' cultural celebrations.

EXPENSIVE, NOT-FANCY DINNERS

The school just raised the value of meal swipes by $0.50, and now a swipe can be used for up to $6 for breakfast instead of $5.50. The new added value applies to all food locations at Rutgers, whether it's the Cook Student Center or Woody's Cafe on Busch campus. Although this is a move in a positive direction, it's still not enough. Students pay for an expensive meal plan that's around $17 per swipe. We dart the costliness of the meal plan and the slow moves to make it affordable.

REPRESENTATION AND PARTICIPATION

Dang, Eagleton! Back at it again with the avant-garde political programs! The Eagleton Institute of Politics started a new pilot program called "RU Running?," which trains politically interested college students who aspire to run for public office. We laurel Eagleton for creating this program and serving as a model for universities nationwide.

U.S. LACKING IN HUMAN RIGHTS

About 14,000 to 17,000 people are trafficked in the United States, and the average age of trafficked girls is 12 to 14. Being in a developed and industrialized country, we don't expect human trafficking to be as significant of an issue as it is. The U.S. is a country founded on liberty, and it is not compatible with violations of basic human rights. We dart the common lack of awareness surrounding human trafficking.

The Daily Targum’s editorials represent the views of the majority of the 148th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.