5 classic spring break movies to watch

movie

Spring break is an exciting time for most of us students, who get a break from our academic responsibilities. Some of us will have the opportunity to go on vacations or go out to local events, and some will be going on interviews for their summer internships. But the real winners this spring break will be those of us who are laying around the house doing nothing except for watching hours of television. A lot of people have already watched all the shows worth seeing on Netflix, so I have decided to compile a list of spring break themed movies to indulge yourself with this spring break.

Spring Breakers (2012)

This is a comedy about four female college students who attempt robbery in order to try and get some money to fund their anticipated spring break endeavors. The girls, in pursuit of having a good time, get bailed out by an illegal arms dealer played by James Franco, and they end up spending their spring break doing the opposite of what they intended.

Piranha 3D (2010)

To throw some suspense into the mix, this 2010 film is about how an underwater earthquake makes cracks at the bottom of the seafloor, releasing a prehistoric man-eating fish just before 20,000 spring breakers show up to the area. A group of complete strangers find themselves trying to protect the masses and re-extinct the species.

The Real Cancun (2003)

This is a comical attempt at turning reality television into the film industry. The Real Cancun is about 16 college students drinking, partying and hooking up with each other, while simultaneously having conversations with the camera talking about the emotional messes they’re all going through, while enjoying their spring break in Cancun.

Girl Happy (1965)

This is a romantic comedy based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where a Chicago mobster’s daughter is enjoying her spring break. The mobster hires a rock and roll musician (Elvis Presley) to watch over her while she is still on break, but she ends up falling for the protective rock star.

Where the Boys Are (1984)

This is a remake of a 1960 film, and it's about four co-ed college girls on spring break. They all come from very different backgrounds and all get caught up in their own ridiculous and semi-romantic endeavors over the course of the film.

Nick Demarest