March 18, 2018 | ° F

Seniors approach historic individual achievement for Rutgers

Senior attacker Kim Kolodny is 14 points away from becoming the 20th player in program history to reach the 100 point mark.

In the midst of a season that has not favored the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, history looms around two of its key players as they look to get their season back on track.

The Scarlet Knights’ (2-7) senior attackers Halley Barnes and Kim Kolodny are both in reach of 100 career points for Rutgers, closing in on the milestone during their final year with the team.

The Knights' 100 career points club features 19 different players during the programs 39-year history, most recently adding Ali Steinberg in 2012.

Barnes believes closing in on 100 points is a reflection of the job she is asked to do as an attacker.

“I really think that offensive players are on the field to score and produce points and that’s the only way you’re going to win games, if your attackers are doing their job and putting points up,” Barnes said. “It’s really just my contribution to the team as we try to get wins.”

The two active seniors look to become numbers 20 and 21 on the list as Barnes currently sits at 90 points. With 18 goals and 23 points on the year, the Rutgers captain is on pace for her best season statistically since arriving on the Banks.

Also on pace for a career season, Kolodny has 86 points during her time playing for the Knights. 

The Farmingdale, New York, native continues to be consistent in her game as she is currently third on the team in scoring with 16 goals and 22 points this year.

The duo’s consistency throughout their four years in the program leave Barnes and Kolodny with plenty of praise towards those who have helped them along the way.

“I don’t think I would have been able to do it without my team,” Kolodny said. “I am a flashy player and I basically depend on my teammates to get me the ball and without them, I wouldn’t have been able to do this.”

While Barnes also attributed a lot of her success to her teammates, the Garnett Valley, Pennsylvania, native credited head coach Laura Brand-Sias for giving her an opportunity to play since freshman year.

“I wouldn’t have been this close to reaching my 100th point if I hadn’t been able to play in all those games so I think that is a huge contributing factor,” she said.

While it is almost inevitable with people continually bringing the 100-point milestone to their attention, the senior pair try not to overthink it.

“If you were to ask me how many points away I was, I would say I don’t know,” Kolodny joked. “I try hard not to think about it, but you know, you have people telling you you’ve come close to it, so you just try to block it out and play in the moment.”

Barnes had no idea she was as close to 100 points before someone recently had mentioned it to her. The veteran attacker noted her attention is strictly towards helping Rutgers win games while downplaying her scoring prowess.

“It’s definitely not on my mind when I’m playing a game. Really, the only thing I’m thinking about is winning,” Barnes said. “Sometimes that means my team is relying on me to get points up and sometimes they're relying on me to do other things to clear room for other girls and really work cohesively in the offensive unit.”

Kolodny and Barnes have shared field since coming onto the Knights team in 2013, racking up their career totals from the moments of their first few games. As freshmen, they combined for 28 points, and their point production has not slowed down midway through their senior year.

The two senior attackers' next chance to continue their pace towards 100 points comes when Rutgers faces off against Hofstra in New York on Friday. Regardless of how things turn out for the Knights, Kolodny noted she has enjoyed all her time playing with her teammate.

“Ever since freshman year, I know that me and Halley have been playing together," Kolodny said. "It’s been a great ride with her."

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli