Organization ensures student positivity at Rutgers

unirupositivechristopher

Courtesy of Kaelyn Wyckoff | Kaelyn Wyckoff, Omer Tekin and Farah Randelia are all members of RU Positive, a group created to brighten the days of students at Rutgers by handing out candy and compliments to members of the University community.

From handing out candy and giving compliments to passerby, a new student group on campus has worked to raise students' spirits.

RU Positive is a social change project started by a group this semester whose main goal is to increase the morale and positivity of students around campus, said Joseph Dobak, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student.

“We’ve noticed that there’s not a ton of positivity, and we really just wanted to increase that,” said Kaelyn Wyckoff, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student. 

This lackluster spirit on campus led to the inception of RU Positive.

People are becoming more aware of RU Positive, Wyckoff said. 

Wyckoff said she has increased positivity with this project. Students that Wyckoff does not know have recognized and greeted her around campus. 

“If we get enough of a good response and if we get enough followers, then we thought about making it into a club and continuing it the next four years we are here,” Wyckoff said. “But that all depends on the response we get.”

RU Positive has set up table on different parts of the Rutgers campuses to spread awareness. 

At these tables, the club gives out candy to passersby. While meeting, greeting and comforting students, club members also hand out flyers containing information on different ways to stay positive. 

“We give out Hershey's Kisses and said 'have a nice day,'” Wyckoff said. “We ask 'how are you doing,' and we had sheets on how to stay positive during exams, and little helpful hints. And it really helped brightened people’s day — they spread the word and it helped others.”

This, and the group's other activities, is a way to bring people up during exam season, which is the group's most active period, Dobak said.

At times, it can be challenging to stay positive, Dobak said. 

School of Arts and Sciences first-year student Farah Randelia agreed that lack of positivity was a problem on campus.

Randelia is in charge of advertising for RU Positive. She made the poster that hung in front of their table and handwrites the flyers they hand out to students.

“A lot of us were a little bit down and having a hard time staying positive,” Randelia said. “So if we — a small subset of the population of Rutgers — were having a hard time staying positive, then a majority of the population would also be facing something similar.”

Sometimes it is hard to stay positive in college, she said. Student face stress from many sources other than exams and the stresses of schooling. 

Helping students has been a fulfilling experience, she said.

“Throughout the day, seeing people smile at our attempts to get them to smile was worthwhile,” Randelia said.

Christopher Bohorquez is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. He is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. See more on Twitter @c_bo_sauce.

Christopher Bohorquez