July 18, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers drops first Big Ten game of season against Penn State

p14kolodnydimitri_216

Senior attacker Kim Kolodny recorded a team high 5 points in the Knights 16-9 loss to Penn State. She is now 6 points away from 100 for her career.

The Rutgers women lacrosse team had its first taste of conference play this season on Saturday, but not in the fashion it wanted.

The Scarlet Knights (3-8, 0-1) suffered a 16-9 loss to Penn State (9-2, 1-0) in a game where the Knights first half deficit was too much to overcome.

Rutgers found itself playing from behind early, when the Nittany Lions’ freshman attacker Kelly Daggett scored the game’s first goalless than a minute into the first quarter.

From there, the Knights’ watched as Penn State stormed through with 8 unanswered goals in less than 15 minutes. The Nittany Lions had three players with multi-goal performances before Rutgers could net one of its own.

The Knights’ were finally able to calm the storm when junior midfielder Kristina Dunphey, who leads Rutgers in scoring this season, found the back of the net. 

The Knights were only able to put one more goal on the board before the first half closed, as junior attacker Amanda Turturro scored her seventh of the season.

Finding itself in a situation similar to its early season struggles, Rutgers would start the second half down 11-2, having to play catchup for the remainder of the game.

Penn State was not making things any easier for the Knights as the Nittany Lions opened up the second with a three-goal run, making for an unreachable comeback for Rutgers.

The Knights had no interest in surrendering to their conference rival with most of the second half still on the clock.

Senior attacker Kim Kolodny opened Rutgers second half scoring with her 20th goal of the season. Kolodny’s goal would spark a strong finish for the Knights, scoring six more goals, while only surrendering one more to Penn State.

With the clock winding down and almost no chance of mounting a comeback, Rutgers continued to push on. The Knights’ 3-goal run in the final three minutes was only enough to close the gap of the final score, as Rutgers dropped its first conference game of the season.

Kolodny finished the game with five points after recording a hat trick and tallying two assists. The Farmingdale, New York, native’s five points moved her only six away from 100-career points on the Banks.

Fellow senior attacker Halley Barnes scored her 74th career goal and added two assists, putting her only three away from reaching her 100th career point as well.

Freshman attacker Abbey Brooks, who was recently named Big Ten Freshman of the week, continued her strong offensive production with 2 goals and one assist on the day. The rookie has 8 goals and two assists since making her debut against Penn this season.

The Nitanny Lions finished the game with six individual multi-goal performances as well as three different hat tricks.

The Knights will be right back at work on Tuesday, when they play their final out of conference game against Lehigh in Pennsylvania.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli