Students talk 2016 Rutgers Dance Marathon

backtopright

Family Hour is a time when students can interact with the kids they sponsored, said Labiba Salim, a Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy junior. Every week counting down to Dance Marathon, a member of the organization sponsoring a child develops a personal connection with the patient.

The dancers at this years Rutgers Dance Marathon were very enthusiastic about being a part of the event and helping the Embrace Kids Foundation raise money for families and children affected by cancer and blood disorders. 

Josseline Gonzalez, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and the philanthropy chair of the Kappa Zeta Psi sorority, said she is participating in the marathon to end her last year memorably and do something meaningful.

“I think the cause is great, and I like how they bring the families and you get that good feeling inside,” Gonzalez said. “It’s just like a great cause, and it’s very emotional to go through the process.”

Gonzalez said she planned on dancing for 24 hours. Her favorite dance is the salsa.

Samantha Culloo, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and president of Kappa Zeta Psi, said she participates every year for the dance marathon but this was her first year as a dancer.

“It’s one of the few events that actually gives back,” said Culloo. “You see the kids on stage, and you know you are making a difference.”

Culloo said she hopes to surpass last year’s amount of money raised for the Embrace Kids foundation.

Samuel Cutler, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student student and advocacy liaison for the Residence Hall Association for Davidson Hall, participated because as leader of his hall, he pushed his residence to attend the event.

Cutler’s favorite dance to do is the whip. He hopes to be team captain and in the future wants to be more involved with the cause.

“I think that helping all the families out financially and also giving the kids all the emotional support as well really helps bring the family together and really shows that we support them even though we are college students,” he said.

This article is part of our 2016 Rutgers University Dance Marathon coverage. Click here for a full list of stories.

Christopher Bohorquez is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. He is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum. See more on Twitter @c_bo_sauce.

Christopher Bohorquez