VOTE YES: Few places teach like Targum does

lewis

To the Editor:

I can think of no better learning environment than the Targum. The on-the-job training I received did not just make me a better journalist while I was there — it has been the foundation of the skills I use today as the director of public and government affairs for AAA, as a council member in Lawrence Township, as a columnist and as a mother. I learned how to work on deadline, how to handle public debate, how to think quickly on my feet when a story broke or when a story fell through at the last minute.

At a daily student newspaper, there are no do-overs, procrastination is not an option and every decision has real-life consequences that student editors must deal with on a daily basis. As an editor, I learned to improvise and adapt on a daily basis — skills I use today in all facets of my life. There is a lot of talk in the world about "work-life balance," and for me I learned those skills very quickly at the Targum. To have to balance school and the full-time job that editors take on meant that I was better equipped when I went into the job market, I had already developed those skills and was a more valuable employee because of it. To me, the Targum was my home and my family for four years, to others it is a vital resource for news and events and for many it is where they will build the foundation for a successful career and develop valuable skills that will translate into whatever career path they choose. The Targum has a long history at Rutgers and offers value to all students, I urge you to vote yes for the Targum Referendum.

Cathleen Lewis is a former managing editor, news editor and associate news editor for The Daily Targum. She is a Douglass College Class of 2002 alumna.

Cathleen Lewis