VOTE YES: Knowledge obtained from Targum was instrumental for my career

instrumental

Six years out of college and I can say without hesitation, The Daily Targum was instrumental to jump-starting my journalism career and empowering me with the skills and knowledge I needed to succeed. I learned lessons while working at the nation’s second-oldest college newspaper that I use continually in my day-to-day job.

An education in journalism is incomplete without real-world practice. Rutgers is one of the few universities in the nation that has a daily, student-run newspaper. For this reason, Rutgers journalism graduates, especially those who spent time working at the Targum, are particularly highly regarded in the industry. This is not only for their skills and work ethic, but for their commitment to fair and honest reporting.

But the Targum is more than just a training ground, graduating skilled writers, editors and photographers — it’s also the official history book of Rutgers, for the students, by the students.

And finally, The Daily Targum is a mechanism for accountability. No University oversight means the paper is free to report the facts, without having its hands tied by administrative interest. Let’s face it, corruption is a problem everywhere, even at Rutgers University. A newspaper with the intention of simply reporting what is truthful is a true asset to the greater good.

So please, consider voting yes on The Daily Targum referendum.

Dan Bracaglia was a former editor-in-chief and photography editor for The Daily Targum. He is currently an editor at Digital Photography Review in Seattle.

Dan Bracaglia