VOTE YES: Rutgers students should have pride in Targum tradition

kypers

Vote "yes" for The Daily Targum. I could repeat the same line that is decades old. I am sure, if you are reading this, you are aware of the referendum. However, most students are unfamiliar with what it means. The referendum is the way the University and former editors decided to maintain an independent newspaper. It is the direct will of the students. It is important to understand that the University has no influence over the Targum — it is a creation of idealistic and bright-eyed students. Students with a passion for balanced editorial content. Students who take pride in bringing you information from the salaries of every employee to the changing of the buses. This is rare and valuable.

The University has a knack for being in the spotlight, rarely favorably. The Targum provides a forum for athletes, clubs, programs, student government and even your favorite bus driver. It provides an organization that anyone can join and contribute to. I know — I was the editor-in-chief of the 142nd editorial board. I had no past editorial experience, but I was not ostracized or ignored. I was taught, trained and given the same chance as everyone else. I can’t thank the Targum enough for what was the best part of my time at the University.

At a University that changes so dramatically, there is hardly a shred of tradition tying alumni to the University as it is today. The grease trucks are gone, the individual schools that were the pride of many are gone, the buildings and architecture of the campus will soon be unrecognizable and frat row will soon be a memory of the past. The Targum is something we can all take pride in. Pride in its independence, pride in its transparency, pride in its openness and inclusion and pride in the fact that it has persisted and published for more than a century. Let’s keep this tradition alive. Vote "yes" for The Daily Targum.

Neil Kypers is a former editor-in-chief of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Arts and Sciences Class of 2011 alumnus.

Neil Kypers