VOTE YES: Targum serves as perfect stepping stone to professional world

petrick

Without The Daily Targum, where would I be? I joined the paper as a freshman in 1981, and I immediately felt like I was part of something really important. Getting my very first story on the front page was one of the most gratifying moments of my early college life, and it was very motivating in my continuing of my career at Targum. I rose to become a staff writer, then associate news editor and finally news editor. What other organization could have given me the kind of real-life challenges and skills than Targum? You covered things at night, and boom, there they were, in the paper the very next day. My ability to write quickly and gracefully under deadline pressure, my interviewing skills, my people skills — I owe it all to The Daily Targum. We were teenagers, or hardly out of our teens, writing, editing and producing a daily newspaper. With the countless hours we devoted to putting out the paper, it was enough to make you feel like you were a professional. While I became a newspaper reporter after graduating and remain a journalist today now working for The Record of Bergen County, there are countless other fields where I could have applied the skills I learned at the Targum. Not to mention the fact that it's where I made some of the best friends of my life. The Targum is well worth your support. The paper is a valuable source of news and information for students. The organization is a priceless tool for students to learn what it feels like to work in the real world.

John Petrick is a former news editor and associate news editor for The Daily Targum. He is a Rutgers College Class of 1985 alumnus.

John Petrick