WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 22, 2016

laurels_and_darts

RUTGERS IN UNIFORMS

Rutgers' Army ROTC members have been serving the community at the local level, as well as the rest of the country at the national level. Thirteen members of the Air Force ROTC were recently commended for their volunteer work, including judging competitions for high school students in Air Force JROTC programs, hosting fundraising events for charity and visiting veterans. Additionally, six graduating members in the Navy ROTC will soon relocate to their first bases after getting their ship selection. We laurel Rutgers' AFROTC and NROTC for their selfless commitment and service.

RETIREMENT WOES

At one end of the the spectrum, people get to live luxuriously. Some people at the other end have to live laboriously. Income inequality is generally quite pronounced in our society, but a new Rutgers study shows that this inequality has risen sharply for people in their retirement years. The elderly are still trying to make ends meet this far in their life when they should be enjoying the remainder of their years. We dart the social and economic factors that make it impossible to finally live comfortably at old age.

FISHING OUT A GOLDWATER

The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship is only given to a limited number of people in the nation, but Jennifer Coulter, a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in physics, has become the latest Goldwater scholar at Rutgers. The scholarship grants her a maximum of $7,500 per year to cover student tuition and fees. We laurel Coulter for her accomplishments and for the future success to come.

TUITION DISCUSSION

Students saw a 2.3 percent tuition hike for the 2015-2016 academic year. There was a University tuition hearing this week in order to open a discussion about raising tuition, and the Board of Governors listened to students and faculty. While it doesn't seem like a 2.3 percent tuition hike is a lot, plenty of students are already unable to shoulder the current tuition, let alone the tuition increase. We dart Rutgers' inability to lower — or at least keep steady — the price of tuition.

CLASSICAL INSPIRATION

The United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, but it has 22 percent of the world's prisoners. With so many people in prison, a good number of individuals who want to further their education aren't able to. Emily Allen-Hornblower, an associate professor in the Department of Classics, was inspired by a Rutgers alumnus who tutored inmates in prison, and she quickly became involved herself. We laurel Allen-Hornblower, as well as NJ-Step for providing initiatives to work with inmates.

CAST YOUR VOTE!

Throughout the ages and in countries around the world, blood was drawn for the right to vote. The New Jersey Public Interest Research Group (NJPIRG) collaborated with two governing councils, five student political groups and the Residence Hall Association to encourage students to vote in the upcoming presidential election. This enormous effort is critical for deciding the nation's future, and we dart students who refuse to vote or insist in being apathetic.