Senior to study organizational psychology after Rutgers

prakriti
Photo by Prakriti Singh |

Prakriti Singh will move to Albany after graduating to pursue a Master's degree.

Rutgers is a University filled with opportunities, said Prakriti Singh, a School of Arts and Science senior. But they will not magically appear — students have to work to find them.

Throughout her four years at Rutgers, Singh said she learned the importance of working hard and staying on top of her responsibilities.

“I tend to be anxious in general but the best way I've found to cope with that is to be really prepared and on top of things,” she said.

She worked as an undergraduate teaching assistant, as well as a lab manager and coordinator at Rutgers. Singh said she might not have been able to do that anywhere else.

“Of course I worked really, really hard to be able to do these things but, at the end of the day, I really believe that they helped set me apart from the rest of the applicants who applied for the same program I did,” she said.

Singh said her experience as a teaching assistant and research leadership allowed her to get into nine out of the 10 programs she applied to.

After graduation, Singh will be attending graduate school for a Master of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology beginning in August, for two years, she said.

Following graduate school, Singh plans on consulting and other applied work for two years. She then will obtain a Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology before opening her own consulting firm.

Singh also hopes to write a book, become a published author and travel extensively, she said.

One of her favorite memories at Rutgers was the first Rutgers Day she attended.

“It was the first time that I really realized how vibrant and alive the Rutgers community really is,” she said. “I met so many people there and was able to experience so many sides to Rutgers with all the different booths and organizations that were present.”

Singh also met alumni who had brought their spouses and children with them. She said she was “struck” by their Rutgers pride after all their years away.

Singh said she has fears of her future.

She is worried about finding an apartment and moving to Albany in August. She is also anxious about not doing well in her master's program and concerned about financial security.

These fears are always on her mind, she said, because they are an integral part of life and being an adult.

But Singh is ultimately looking forward to starting this new chapter in her life.

“It's so important to be on top of things here and if you work hard, you'll definitely see the results,” she said.

Noa Halff is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Noa Halff