Rutgers—Newark senior earns $5,000 scholarship

tdameritradecourtesy

Courtesy of Albert Appouh | Albert Appouh, a Rutgers-Newark College of Arts and Sciences senior, earned a $5,000 scholarship from TD Ameritrade.

TD Ameritrade recently granted 12 students $5,000 scholarships to help them in their academic careers.

Albert Appouh, winner of the TD Ameritrade Financial Planning Scholarship, said he has learned the importance of increasing diversity in the financial world.

The Rutgers—Newark College of Arts and Sciences senior spoke openly about his struggles as an African-American student with a disability, and his optimism about his future.

“As a student receiving disability income due to my debilitating mental health conditions, financing my education is a daily struggle, thus receiving this scholarship is quite a godsend,” Appouh said.

The award was given to students pursuing a degree in financial planning, hoping to ameliorate the “talent gap” found within the financial industry, according to the TD Ameritrade website.

In the coming years, the “financial planning industry is expected to grow 27 percent by 2022,” according to the website.

The Ameritrade scholarship seeks to encourage students who want to become registered investment advisors.

Appouh first became interested in finances during community college and credits his professor’s guidance as an important factor in his decision to continue to study finance at Rutgers—Newark, he said.

“In order to increase acceptance and inclusion of minority groups in various industries including financial planning, promoting diversity is of utmost importance," he said.

Faith Hoatson is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Faith Hoatson