Dharun Ravi sentenced to 30 days in jail plus probation in plea deal

ravidt212

February 2012 | Dharun Ravi, who was convicted of bias intimidation in the death of Tyler Clementi in 2012, plead guilty to attempted invasion of privacy.

Former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi, whose roommate died by suicide after being secretly recorded kissing another man, was sentenced on Thursday to 30 days in jail and probation after pleading guilty to attempted invasion of privacy. 

He will not serve any additional time in jail after spending 30 days in jail for being found guilty of bias intimidation in 2012. The Associated Press reports that Ravi could have faced up to 10 years in prison. Ravi has already served his entire three-year sentence of probation.

His conviction was overturned last month after the New Jersey Supreme Court found the law used to convict Ravi unconstitutional.

Ravi was originally convicted after the death of his Rutgers roommate, 18-year-old Tyler Clementi, who committed suicide in 2010 after being filmed having a sexual engagement with another man. Ravi had set up a webcam to film Clementi's encounter, and had said he planned on livestreaming another encounter on Twitter.

Clementi committed suicide a few days later, jumping off the George Washington Bridge into the Hudson River. Following his death, a national conversation about cyberbullying was sparked and Clementi's family started a foundation to raise awareness of bullying and LGBT issues.

In a statement issued after the hearing, the Tyler Clementi's parents, Joe and Jane, stressed the need for legislators to pass clear laws and urged people to speak out against bullying. 

"We call on all young people and parents to think about their behavior and not be bystanders to bullying, harassment or humiliation. Interrupt it, report it and reach out to victims to offer support," the statement reads. "If this had happened in Tyler's case our lives might be very different today."

Nikhilesh De is the news editor of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Engineering senior. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Avalon Zoppo is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science. Follow her on Twitter @AvalonZoppo for more stories.

Avalon Zoppo

Nikhilesh De