How do Trump and Clinton's climate plans differ?

climatechangewikipediacommons
Photo by WIKIMEDIA COMMONS |

Global temperatures have risen by approximately 1.53 degrees Fahrenheit on average over the last several decades. Nearly 200 hundred countries signed an accord to try to reverse that trend.

The next President of the United States will have to face the growing concern over climate change. 

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump have both proposed plans about energy and climate change.

Clinton has focused on the issue of global warming as both Secretary of State and as Senator of New York. She has pushed for investments in solar and wind energy and proposed a $60 billion plan for transitioning the United States into clean energy

Clinton hopes to have more than half a billion solar panels installed across the nation by the end of her first term and generate enough renewable energy to power every home in America within the decade, according to her website. 

Trump is more focused on accomplishing his plan of American Energy Independence, which focuses on the productivity of coal mines and oil companies and finding new job opportunities in places with large oil supplies such as North Dakota. 

In his 100-Day Plan, Trump vows to cut regulations implemented by the Obama Administration under the Climate Action Plan, renew the Keystone Pipeline and cancel the United States' involvement with the Paris agreement.

Trump has faced criticism during his campaign for denying the existence of global warming. He tweeted in 2012, "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." 

He also called it a hoax in 2015 during a speech about President Barack Obama and Clinton.

Trump has also been criticized for wanting the U.S. to leave the Paris agreement, an agreement between 190 different countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2020. 

Anthony Broccoli, a professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences, said it was important that the United States should stay in the agreement. 

“The Paris Agreement is the first step to reducing global greenhouse gas emissions. It is an important starting point for addressing the climate change problem. Leaving this agreement would likely allow the problem to become more serious,” Broccoli said.

Trump's website said Clinton's energy plans would harm America economically.

Jennifer Holdsworth, the New Jersey state director at Hillary for America, has said that Clinton's environmental plan will not ruin the economy, but improve it.

“We absolutely can create jobs out of green energy. There is always a metamorphosis of jobs when you’re talking about any industry, even in manufacturing," Holdsworth said. "Same thing goes for the environment and green jobs, there has to be a metamorphosis going forward of what those jobs are going to be, new training for new employees and new training for old employees who have to be brought along for this metamorphosis.”

Climate change is an issue that many young people are concerned about, according to Gallup polls. Last year, 70 percent of young Americans reported believing global warming exists and is having an impact. 

Earlier this year Gallup reported 64 percent of Americans worry about climate change a “great deal.” 

Students at Rutgers have expressed their feelings about global warming and also urged people to acknowledge that it is happening. Clubs at Rutgers like the Students for Environmental Awareness (SEA) are active in raising awareness to these issues.

Shannon Mclntyre, School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said she believes it is a pressing issue that shouldn't go ignored.

“It’s a severely underrated topic in today’s society as well as in this political cycle,” Shannon said. “I just hope to see a change in the nation’s perception, not only for our sake but future generations as well.”

Jacob Turchi is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. He is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Jacob Turchi