New Brunswick police investigating 3 aggravated assaults

frontgasjeffreygomez

A Rutgers student who works at the Shell Service Center on Easton Avenue was robbed Saturday night. New Brunswick police are still looking for the perpetrator.

New Brunswick police are investigating three aggravated assaults that occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m.

The first incident took place near the intersection of Robinson Street and Hamilton Street at 1:07 a.m., police said in a crime alert sent out to students. The victim, who is not part of Rutgers community, was injured by a hit to the face during a fight and was taken to a local hospital. 

The second incident occurred near the intersection of Easton Avenue and Condict Street around 2:11 a.m. The victim was arguing with an unidentified male when the dispute became physical. 

The victim was assaulted by three male perpetrators and transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police said one of the attackers was described as a light-skinned Hispanic male with French braids wearing a white button-down shirt. No description was given for the other three assailants. 

The third assault took place on Guilden Street between Bristol Street and Prosper Street at 3:26 a.m. The victim was hit in the head by a bottle during a fight and taken to a local hospital for a non-life threatening injury.

There is no description for the assailant.

Anyone with information about these assaults can contact the New Brunswick Police Department at 732-745-5217.

RUPD also recommends students avoid walking in dark or isolated areas at night, and walking with groups to increase safety. They should also stay alert, and immediately report suspicious activity to police.

Students who want an escort at night can contact RUPD at 732-932-7211.

Nikhilesh De is the news editor of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Engineering senior. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Nikhilesh De