Election Night Drinking Game

Make it through the night with some liquid courage

Political table talk tends to create tension between friends of opposing parties, and this election season seems to be more stressful than previous years. When memes aren’t enough to lighten the mood, turn to Inside Beat’s Election Day Drinking game to take the edge off.

To play the game, you’ll need a TV or internet connected device to watch the election, a good group of friends and a variety of beers and liquors. For an added bonus, use blue curaçao and grenadine to mix Democratic and Republican party-colored drinks.

Any election-related content on social media, including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, count toward the game.

Take turns placing bets on which way a swing state will vote, if you’re wrong, take a shot.

• Take a sip of your drink whenever someone suggests writing in “Bernie Sanders” and dividing the Democratic vote.
  • Take a sip of your drink whenever someone brings up Hillary Clinton’s private e-mail server.
  • Take a shot whenever a third-party candidate receives at least 5 percent of a state’s votes.
  • Finish your drink whenever someone suggests President Obama stay in office for another four years.
  • Take a sip when your candidate wins a state, take two when the candidate you do not support wins a state.
  • Take a large sip of your drink whenever Donald Trump mentions “the wall” or one of his favorite buzzwords or phrases, including “yuge,” “many people say,” “personal friends of mine."
  • Finish your drink whenever someone announces that they “can’t handle” watching anymore and ditch the coverage for the next season of Black Mirror on Netflix.
  • Take three sips of your drink whenever a friend’s political ramblings make you want to unfriend them online and in real life.
  • Shotgun a beer whenever someone says they’re only voting for one candidate because they don’t like the other.
  • Take a sip for every social media post or Snapchat from friends at polling booths or pictures of their ballots.

Though the state of our country after Tuesday is unclear, you can make sure that you’re feeling alright (at least physically) on Wednesday morning by pacing yourself and drinking water in between shots and new drinks.

Michelle Klejmont