Rutgers sees jump in votes cast on Livingston and Busch campuses

imag0615
Photo by Nikhilesh De |

A record number of votes were cast on the Livingston and Busch campuses for the 2016 presidential election.

In line with the rest of the state, Rutgers students who voted on campus Thursday overwhelmingly cast their ballots for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race. 

With a total of 1,257 votes across the Livingston and Busch campuses, 87 percent cast their ballot for Clinton and 13 percent for Republican nominee Donald Trump. These numbers don't capture the students who voted at New Brunswick polling locations and those who sent in absentee ballots.

The turn-out for Rutgers students was record breaking, said Piscataway Mayor Brian Wahler. The Livingston and Busch campus are located in Piscataway.

Four years ago, about 1,100 students in total voted on the two campuses. But by 4 p.m. on Thursday, and with four hours until polls closed, 900 ballots had already been cast between both campuses. This number rose by nearly 400 in the following hours.

"I'm very impressed by the steady stream of voters," he said. "There's been a constant stream."

This year, more than 100,000,000 people voted in the presidential election nationwide. Ultimately, Trump won by grabbing 276 electoral votes.

Witnessing the results of a historic election roll in, roughly 200 students gathered in the multipurpose room of the College Avenue Student Center Thursday night for an Election Night Viewing Party.

Hosted by the Student Affair's Leadership Department, Robyn Ginese said the event's purpose was to engage the community.

“We wanted to be able to engage with the community altogether and have an opportunity for folks to come together and watch election results come in and be able to a supportive network of peers and perspective sharers,” Robyn Ginese, director for Leadership and Experiential Learning, told The Daily Targum.

In addition to the two polling locations on Busch and Livingston, students registered to vote with an address on the College Avenue or Cook/Douglass campus could cast their ballot at the Lord Sterling Community School, Parsons School, the Labor Education Center, the First Reformed Church, or Lincoln school — all in New Brunswick.

Throughout the day, the Eagleton Institute of Politics provided free Election Day shuttles bringing students to and from the polling locations in New Brunswick. The shuttle, which ran from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., picked students up from the Biel Road bus stop on Douglass campus.

Avalon Zoppo the managing editor for The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Avalon Zoppo