Get jolly by inhaling some festive, holiday inspired treats
winter recipe medley
It’s the holiday season, which means you probably have more exams, papers and projects than you know what to do with. We all want to have fun during the holidays, but it can be such a stressful and busy time that it just slips by. Don’t let that happen! Relax with a mug of hot, holiday cider and feel all of your worries melt away.
We have four recipes exclusively for you— two alcoholic and two sweet. They’re super simple and super festive, so make them when you’re low on time, but still want to soak up all of the holiday goodness.
These recipes can all be made for a crowd, so be the most popular person at your ugly sweater party and bring one (or more) of these drinks and treats with you.
Inside Beat Pomegranate Punch (Makes about six drinks)
The ratio is two parts sparkling wine to one part riesling to one part pomegranate juice. Plus, there are some orange slices and pomegranate arils. With those proportions, you can make as many or as few drinks as you’d like.
2 cups sparkling white wine
1 cup riesling
1 cup sweetened pomegranate juice
1 cup pomegranate arils
1 orange, sliced
1. Combine all ingredients in a 60 ounce pitcher and stir. Serve over ice.
Hot Holiday Cider (Makes 6-8 servings, depending on size of mugs)
½ gallon apple cider
1 ½ cups dry white wine, such as chardonnay
⅛ cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1 apple, sliced into thin rounds, seeds removed
1. Combine all ingredients, except the sliced apple, in a medium pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
2. Strain the cider, return it to the pot and add the apple slices. Keep warm over low heat and serve in mugs.
Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
12 chocolate cupcakes (you can use a boxed mix or make your own)
12 large marshmallows
1 cup heavy cream, cold
⅓ cup hot cocoa mix
Mini marshmallows, for decoration
1. When cupcakes are cooled, scoop out a small hole in the center using a spoon, but save the scooped out bit. Then stuff one large marshmallow into each hole.
2. Remove the bottom of the scooped out bits and put the top part back on so that the marshmallow is mostly sealed in.
3. Make whipped cream using a standard mixer, beaters or a whisk. Whip until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold ⅓ cup hot cocoa mix into whipped cream.
5. Frost cupcakes with whipped cream. Top with mini marshmallows.
Rice Cereal Treat Wreaths
4 tablespoons butter
1 10 oz package marshmallows
Big squirt of green food coloring
6 cups puffed rice cereal
Little red candies, like mini m&ms or red sprinkles
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium sized pot.
3. Add marshmallows to melted butter and stir until they are melted.
4. Turn off heat and add green food coloring. Stir until color is evenly distributed.
5. Add rice cereal and stir.
6. Have a bowl of cold water nearby to dunk your hands into to make it easier to shape the wreaths. Using a large spoon, scoop a ball of rice cereal treat onto the baking sheet. Shape into a wreath using your hands.
7. Working quickly, stick on candies or sprinkle on sprinkles. If the treats aren’t sticky enough, you can use a little bit of honey or frosting on the candies.
8. Chill until firm and serve.