Step up your self-care game

ibspa

The importance of self-care cannot be stressed enough. The hustle and bustle of college life can weigh you down if you don’t set aside time to practice a little R&R. Simple, routine acts of self-care, like remembering to eat breakfast or choosing a study spot with a view, can be enough to keep you grounded. But if you find yourself overwhelmed, we’ve got you covered with some of the best places to unwind and recharge.

Counseling, Alcohol and other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) offers two excellent services for students seeking self-care resources: Mindfulness meditation and group therapy.

Mindfulness meditation workshops are hour-long sessions that train you to stay present and in the moment. An instructor guides students through breathing exercises and thought practices, bringing attention to how easy it is to get overwhelmed and what to do to keep stress at bay.

While group therapy might seem intimidating, CAPS offers groups like Stress Management or Sharpen Your Focus, precisely targeting areas that most students overlook. If you’re serious about self-care and want to start with your mental health, CAPS is certainly an excellent start. Interested students can call the main office on College Avenue at (848) 932-7884 for information.

If sitting in one spot for an hour isn’t your cup of tea, that’s perfectly fine. For a more active approach, look no further than the recreation centers. Exercise is a highly recommended way to practice self-care, since staying fit is good for your mind, body and soul. If you’ve been dying to take a certain class, check the recreation schedule to see class times and registration information.

And if you’re willing to step outside your comfort zone, the Livingston Recreation Center will be offering Intro to Yoga from Feb. 3 to March 3, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Registration is $20, and if your class schedule is accommodating, think of it as an investment into your well-being.

Finally, if you’re long overdue for a spa day, the Livingston and Cook/Douglass Recreation Centers also offer massage therapy and facials, promoting “a sense of both calmness and wellbeing” at the hands of certified massage therapists.

Appointments must be scheduled ahead of time and are available in 30 and 60-minute time frames, at $25 and $45 for students, respectively. If you’re looking for a deal, every Friday, half-hour massages are only $20. #TreatYoSelf is in full effect this year, so make sure to seize every opportunity to engage in self-care.

Jasmine Green