PAW Prints allows students to rent original artwork for their living spaces

pawprintsdimitri

Students can now add some cosmopolitan flair to their residence halls by renting artwork from PAW Prints, a program that makes professional artwork available for student living spaces.

PAW Prints stands for Prints Available for Walls. The organization's mission is to give students the opportunity to enjoy art, according to their website. 

Over 300 artists collaborated with the Brodsky Center to create this program. The center, which is housed inside of the Mason Gross School of the Arts, commissions artists to create "groundbreaking" work — primarily in print and paper mediums, according to their website.

“We invite professional artists to come to our center and create work with us, which are exhibited at national art fairs, collected and exhibited by museums, sold to private collectors and loaned out across the Rutgers campus to different departments,” said Jennifer Lorenz, communications and program coordinator for the Brodsky Center.

Similar to renting a book from a library, students will be able to present their ID, pay a $5 membership fee to the Brodsky Center and choose from up to 20 different pieces of artwork. The students will own the artwork from Jan. 27 until April. 26, when all pieces will be returned to the center in pristine condition, according to the website. 

“We developed PAW Prints with the hope and intention of reaching out to students, giving them the opportunity to house professional, museum-quality artwork in their dorm or apartment,” Lorenz said.

The Brodsky Center has been working with famous artists for over 30 years, with many of their pieces included in collections in the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, according to their website.

PAW Prints will feature work by well-known artists William Kentridge, Lesley Dill, Kiki Smith, Joan Semmel and Sylvia Sleigh. Lesley Dill, a New York-based artist, said this is not the first time she has been involved with selling her art for a good cause.

“I was involved in the Nasty Woman exhibit and all our works sold for $100,” Dill said. “All the proceeds are going to Planned Parenthood.”

Accomplished artist and former Mason Gross School of the Arts faculty Joan Semmel said she was involved in a feminist portfolio called "Femfolio" at Rutgers University. This portfolio brought together 20 female artists who lead the feminist art revolution during the 1970s, according to the Brodsky Center website.

The works of these artists and others will be available to 20 students on a first come, first serve basis. All of the pieces available for rent are originals and one of a kind, Lorenz said. 

“It’s first come, first served, so students may want to arrive early, especially to get (their) first pick,” Lorenz said. “The work is already framed and will come with instructions on how to safely install them.”

Mary Berko is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Mary Berko