Rutgers a cappella group prepares for 20th birthday

deeptreblegeorgettestillman
Photo by Georgette Stillman |

Deep Treble was established at Rutgers in 1998, making it one of the oldest a capella groups on campus. The group will be performing at the Livingston Coffeehouse on Feb. 10 for the Valentine's Day Concert.

A Rutgers a cappella group is about to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Founded in 1998, Deep Treble is also one of the oldest a cappella groups at the University.

The group’s objective is to provide music to the University community, local, national and international scenes, according to their website

The goal is to bring a cappella to the Rutgers community, said Erica Lazarow, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore and the business manager of Deep Treble.

“We try to sing as many different types of genres as we can,” Lazarow said. ”We have rock, alternative, indie, hip-hop and we’ve done rap. We just try to get a diverse repertoire so we will appeal to many different types of audiences.”

Leah Rozario, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said the group picks songs based on their personal preferences and what they predict their audiences will like.

“Our current repertoire consists of 'I Want You Back' by the Jackson 5, 'Best Mistake' by Ariana Grande, 'Gold' by Kiiara, 'Typhoon' by Young the Giant, 'Rich Girl' by Hall and Oats, 'Crazy in Love' by Beyoncé and 'When We Were Young' by Adele. We’re also learning a ton of new songs this semester,” said Claire Towell, a Rutgers Business School sophomore and Deep Treble’s webmaster.

Although they make strong efforts to appeal to college students, their efforts often span much further, Lazarow said.

“We do a banquet every year with the Embrace Kids Foundation. Before it, we do a little rehearsal with the kids and we teach them one of our songs. We teach them the lyrics. We also learned their theme song with them and together we sing it at the banquet. It’s one of our favorite gigs,” Lazarow said.

Lazarow said they only have a few events finalized for this semester so far.

The group has been invited to the "Muhlenberg Festival," an a capella festival at Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania, Lazarow said. They also were invited to an event called "Acapella for Autism" in Moorestown, New Jersey. 

“We love to do fun stuff too. Last year we caroled for the holidays, sang at a wedding and serenaded a couple for their anniversary,” Towell said.

Towell said a capella provides a musical outlet that is both challenging and relaxing, and that tests an individual's skill.

“My favorite part is just hearing a group sing for the first time after getting new members and hearing how good it sounds. We were losing 10 people last spring, so we were worried because we had to find a whole new set of people, but everything ended up working out. It’s just rewarding once everything works out,” Lazarow said.

Lazarow said they have a Valentine’s Day concert coming up on Feb. 10 at the Livingston Coffeehouse. 

A capella is a great musical outlet, especially for people with a heavy workload, Lazarow said.

“It wasn’t even a thought when I came to college. I just knew I had to audition. Even if I didn’t make the cut, I still knew I had to try. It’s a really good outlet for me,” Lazarow said.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article indicated that Deep Treble is the oldest a capapella group at the University. The oldest a capella group at the University is Kol Halayla.

Thomas Lohan