Rutgers employs border collies to remedy goose infestation on Busch campus

goosewikimediacommons
Photo by Wikimedia Commons |

Rutgers Facility Operations sent an email to students announcing plans to hire a company called Geese Rangers on the Busch campus. The company uses Border Collies to chase away overpopulated geese.

Rutgers University has been on a wild goose chase and it appears administrators have finally found a solution — Border Collies.

Rutgers Facility Operations & Services announced in an email that due to a recent infestation of geese around the Nichols and Richardson residence halls on Busch campus, they will utilize Border Collies to chase away geese.

The company Geese Rangers will visit the campus twice a day to allow the dogs to chase away geese, according to the email.

“Geese Rangers will ‘flag’ out all nest locations and provide addling of eggs," according to the Geese Rangers website.

The procedure is environmentally friendly and uses harassment techniques to patrol the land for the purpose of chasing Canadian geese, according to the site.

“There are a lot (of geese on campus) but I didn't mind them to be honest ... there would be a lot of geese poop on the sidewalks that would mysteriously disappear the next day,” said Amanda Lin, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and Nichols resident.

She said she loves dogs, and as long as the geese do not get hurt, she does not mind their presence on campus.

“I face the big patch of grass so my commute back to my dorm is always greeted by geese and the street next to me that leads to (Busch Lab Center) almost always has geese in the way,” she said. “I guess the main concern are the cars trying to get to the parking lot and maybe that's why it's an issue.”

Facility operations for the University was not available for comment by print time. 

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.