Rutgers suffers road blowout against Delaware

After strong showings in its past two contests, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team took a hard loss this weekend against the University of Delaware.

The Scarlet Knights (2-2) traveled down to Newark, Delaware to face the Blue Hens (2-1) at Delaware Stadium. Rutgers couldn’t contain the Delaware offense and had a hard time scoring goals, ultimately losing 17-5.

The Knights were hoping to carry over the momentum from their two-game winning streak and best start to a season since 2014. 

“(We were) surprised with what Delaware was bringing to us pressure-wise even though (we) practiced it,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “It was a big difference from what we had seen in our previous two games and it just took too long to get adjusted to it.”

Things got off to a rough start just a few minutes after tip off, as Delaware scored its first goal at the 27:41 mark of the first half and things wouldn’t stop there.

In the next span of just over 16 minutes, the Blue Hens went on a tear, scoring 7 more goals, while keeping Rutgers at 0 with stifling defense to make the score 8-0 with 11:03 on the first half clock.

The Knights finally stopped the bleeding at 10:12 in the first, as junior attacker Nicole Kopyta scored her first goal of the night, getting Rutgers on the board and making the score 8-1.

“Delaware is a really good team, we knew that going in it was going to be a battle,” Kopyta said. “We definitely had some bright spots in that game, but other than that we have to work on a couple of things.”

Delaware scored again less than a minute later and with the score 9-1, both teams held each other scoreless for almost the remainder of the period, until Kopyta scored her second goal with 41 seconds left in the half. The teams went into the locker room at halftime with the score 9-2 in Delaware’s favor.

Rutgers and Delaware both scored at 25 minutes, which included a career-high third goal from Kopyta, who was keeping the Knights in this game to the best of her ability and she obviously showed it.

Things looked to be on the rise for the Scarlet Knights, when senior attacker and team captain Amanda Turturro scored to make it 10-4 with 22:00 on the clock, more than enough time for Rutgers to make a run and get back in the game.

Unfortunately, this instance would be the only unanswered goal for the Knights, as the Blue Hens scored again two minutes later, and pushed their advantage to 11-4.

Delaware scored three more times in an eight-minute span, more than tripling Rutgers on the scoreboard, 14-4.

Sophomore attacker Abbey Brooks added another goal for Rutgers at the 9:45 mark in the second half, in what would end up being the Knights last goal of the game.

“Coming off a loss like that is difficult. We didn’t capitalize on the mistakes they made, and they capitalized on the mistakes we made, so it’s definitely something to look at,” Brooks said.

Delaware scored another three goals on Rutgers in the last ten minutes in what ended up being a route of the Knights, with the final score settling at 17-5.

Frustration seemed to obviously be on the Knights’ mind, as junior defenders Dakota Mason and Amanda Casten were given the only two yellow cards of the game.

As a team, Rutgers had 13 of its 18 shots on target, compared to an 18-of-29 mark for Delaware. The Knights also lost the turnover battle, having 23 compared to Delaware’s 15.

Both teams were even on saves, each totaling eight for the game. Rutgers saw split time in the goal for the game, between junior Bianca Dente and sophomore Devon Kearns.

"Obviously, we didn’t play our best game, we were lacking some of our chemistry on the offensive end, not finding good opportunities and we came into the game a little bit passive," Brand-Sias said.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Coby Green