Rutgers women wrap up Big Ten Championships

The Rutgers women’s track and field team wrapped up the month of February with a progressive team effort at the Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships at the SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio this past weekend.

Penn State won the Big Ten Indoor Championships with a team overall score of 96.5 points, collecting two individual titles and one relay title. Purdue with 94 points, Ohio State with 83 points, Minnesota with 70 points and Indiana at 69 points rounded out the rest of the top five.

The Scarlet Knights collected eight season-best marks, three career personal records and two top-10 placements at the championship meet.

The duo of Rutgers players, Bryanna Grant and Sarah Robbie, set new career-bests in the triple jump and 800-meter events, respectively.

Grant placed 10th overall in the triple jump with a new personal record of 12.42 meters — her previous best, 12.36 meters, was set at the Villanova Open last January, where she earned first place with her effort.

Robbie also placed 10th overall in the 800-meter event with a new personal best of 2:10.34. Her last 800-meter record was set last season at the outdoor Larry Ellis Outdoor Invitational with a time of 2:11.28.

Junior Bria Saunders set a new personal record in the 60-meter event with a time of 7.53, besting her previous time set at this season’s Metropolitan Indoor Championships where Saunders earned second-place with a time of 7.54. She placed 14th overall this weekend at the Big Ten Indoor Championships.

Saunders also earned a season-best record in the 200-meter event where she placed 12th overall with a time of 24.14.

The Knights saw additional season-best efforts set by seniors Alayna Famble (56.40) and Drew Andrews (3039) in the 400-meter and pentathlon events, respectively, as well as sophomore Cameron Daniels in the shot put event with a distance of 12.42 meters.

The Rutgers distance medley relay team of Famble, junior Brianna Haspel, sophomore Jenna Sobieski and graduate athlete Paige Senatore also set a season-best effort placing 11th overall with a time of 12:12.08.

Other notable efforts for the Knights saw Senatore placing 27th overall in the 5000-meter event at 17:20.82, sophomore Phyllis Gordon placing 18th overall in the 400-meter event (56.36) and senior Nicole Nicholas placing 19th overall in the 600-meter event (1:41.83).

Juniors Alexandra Juzwiak and Oksana Sokolova finished 25th and 13th overall in the 3000-meter at 10:29.20 and pentathlon (3361) events, respectively.

The Knights' 4x400-meter relay team of Famble, Saunders, Robbie and Gordon placed 13th overall with a score of 3:53.10.

Next weekend, Rutgers will officially end its indoor season with participation in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships in Boston, Massachusetts. The meet will span three days, from Friday, March 3 to Sunday, March 5.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton