Students use President Barchi's town hall appearance to protest U.'s actions in VPVA director search

Students held their hands in X's over their head as President Robert L. Barchi spoke to protest the University's disregard for student input in hiring a new Director of the Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance. – Photo by Dimitri Rodriguez

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) held its biannual Town Hall meeting featuring University President Robert L. Barchi last night.

The meeting began with general statements from Barchi regarding important issues such as the University’s stance on marijuana discipline, medical amnesty and sexual violence. When the floor was opened up to general inquiries, recurring questions regarding recent issues with the hiring of a new director of Rutgers’ Office of Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA) seemed to garner much of the meeting’s attention, as well as questions about actions being taken to further diversify the University.

The first question was asked by Imani Ali, a member of the VPVA, who voiced her concern with the lack of student input taken into consideration with regard to hiring a new director.

The question was the initiating moment of a demonstration carried out by the organization.

“The search for VPVA director was deemed a failed search. Dr. McGinty is proceeding with the search process without the search committee which means no student input. After meeting with Dr. Lasky, she implied the director would be hired within one week. This is a blatant disregard for student voice on the epidemic of sexual violence on our campus,” she said to Barchi. “How do you justify this?”

When she stopped speaking, about 20 students representing the VPVA stood up with their arms crossed in an “X” formation above their heads.

Barchi immediately redirected the question to Felicia McGinty, Rutgers’ vice chancellor for Student Affairs and a lead decision maker on the issue.

“As we discussed last Friday, we did have a search. That process concluded, and now we are moving forward,” McGinty said. “Given that we have an internal candidate and that we have discussed your preference, I appreciate it, I have heard that and taken it into consideration.”

After the meeting concluded, Imani Ali told The Daily Targum that the demonstration was intended to capture the attention of the administration.

“We weren’t just speaking on behalf of VPVA or on behalf of what’s going on right now, but on behalf of all students at Rutgers,” the School of Arts and Science junior said. “There’ve been multiple times when students have a voice on the search committee for who is hired for the administration, and this time they completely disregarded our voice and we feel like we have the right to be heard.”

Ali said that she is confident that her organization’s demonstration at the meeting brought their issue of concern to Barchi’s attention.

The issue was brought into question three more times before the conclusion of the event.

Barchi declined to respond in detail to the subsequent questions on the issue.

Students additionally voiced their concerns on multiple occasions with regard to the University’s diversification in terms of modernizing its curriculum to encompass more cultural education, as well as taking increasing action to diversify Rutgers’ staff and student body.

Tamaj Nicholson, a member of Rutgers’ Cultural Competency Coalition, asked Barchi his question on behalf of his organization.

“We really want to get President Barchi’s affirmative support for the Coalition. We want to see that he supports students and really wants to see cultural diversity not just in the students’ faces, but also in learning and the instruction that’s taught,” the School of Arts and Sciences first-year student said.

Culture is not simply the way a person looks, it is also how they think, act and perform in a community, he said.

“It was good enough,” said Nicholson of Barchi’s response to his question. “He did give his support, but he had his reservations … but it is good to see that he at least somewhat supports our endeavors.”

Justin Schulberg, Rutgers University Student Assembly's (RUSA) president, was satisfied with the Town Hall’s turnout.

“Students were able to give some of their thoughts and comments towards different issues, they were able to express their opinions on things and, as you saw, a number of issues were raised multiple times because students are very passionate about them,” he said.

Schulberg said he loved the demonstration by the VPVA that took place at the meeting.

“They were respectful. Obviously, they followed the rules,” he said. “They were very peaceful, and it sent a message. (Barchi) saw them stand up, I saw members of his leadership team turn around … I think it brought light to a concern of students’ and ours.”

Stephen Weiss is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in philosophy. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.