RUZIECKI: Tomi Lahren is no solution to Republican Party’s problem

Opinions Column: Conscience of a Co-Ed

In this present and ever so confusing era of the administration of President Donald J. Trump, we have been exposed to a fair share of ignorant statements and rather offensive rhetoric. We have heard the president mock a disabled reporter, we have heard him claim that a judge does not approve of the border wall because of his race and we have heard him say that journalist Megyn Kelly does not care for him because she is bleeding from her “wherever.” Needless to say, it has been an exhausting couple of months for the left respectively and conservatives who have no desire to offer their support for Trump. I have previously written about my fear that the Republican Party will shift more toward the desires of Trump rather than a coherent defense of conservatism. While my worst fears are slowly becoming reality, there are more people to blame than the president and the cowardice of certain Republican members of Congress. Many political commentators, who were once conservatives themselves, have only exacerbated this rhetoric that has emerged in the Trump era. Commentators such as Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham and countless more have been blacklisted in my eyes. But the so-called “conservative” commentator, who is truly a danger to the promotion of conservative ideals, is none other than one Tomi Lahren.

It is no surprise that Lahren has not made many friends on the left. Commentators on the left, and left-leaning citizens are never going to have something nice to say about a seemingly conservative political commentator. But the problem with Lahren runs much deeper than offending Liberals left and right. The problem is not only with some statements she makes, but how she goes about saying them. Like I have stated before, Trump has made some very offensive statements in the name of invalidating political correctness. While it is my belief that political correctness is destroying political debate and civil discourse in this country, there is a clear difference between one being politically incorrect and being rude and uncouth. While it is politically incorrect to suggest that people need to be properly vetted before entering the United States, it is repugnant to say that Syrian people are “running away.” So, when Tomi Lahren insinuates that Syrian refugees are cowards for trying to escape the horrors of the Syrian civil war, it is not politically incorrect — it is abhorrently offensive. But unfortunately, this rhetoric will continue, given the time we are living in. While Lahren and her loyal followers may think they are fighting the good fight for conservatism, they most certainly are not. Delivering offensive statements while pointing a finger at a camera in a condescending and vulgar tone in the name of political incorrectness does not a conservative make. Not only does she give a bad name for herself when she does this, but also for conservatives as a whole. It is antithetical to shill for Trump and call yourself a conservative at the same time. Lahren has never once criticized the president for his past disparaging comments. She has yet to criticize the president for his recent executive order barring residents of Mulsim-majority countries from entering the United States for an undisclosed time period. She has yet to criticize the president for possibly engaging in crony capitalism with deals like the Carrier debacle. She has yet to criticize the president for going forward with building a multi-million-dollar wall along the Mexican border. She has indeed criticized Republicans who have refused to support her orange-skinned overlord referring to them as “disloyal.” Similarly, Judge Jeanine Pirro of Fox News has often stated that people need to “get in line” and support Trump. This notion of criticizing someone for being disloyal for not supporting the nominee of your political party is nothing short of tyrannical and Orwellian in nature. This is a perfect example of how partisan politics has led to the destruction of American political discourse.

It has often been said that the Republican Party has a messaging problem among millennials. I hope that I made the case that Lahren is not the answer to this problem. If you put all of the memes aside, she is genuinely not a good voice for conservatism. What the GOP and conservatives alike need is someone who will promote civil discourse. They need someone who will spread awareness about the American experiment rather than someone who focuses on, “triggering snowflakes,” whatever that may entail. They need someone who will stand up for conservative ideals regardless of party identity and someone who will have the ability and the gall to stand up to a sitting president when he or she overreaches. And those, my friends, are my final thoughts.

Louis Ruziecki is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science with a minor in history. His column, “Conscience of a Co-Ed,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Louis Ruziecki