New Brunswick hospital wins national 2017 Women's Choice Award for patient care

saintpetersanacouto
Photo by Ana Couto |

The Saint Peter's University Hospital was chosen as the best hospital in the nation for women based on patient surveys, referrals and extensive research. The hospital is located on Easton Avenue.

Saint Peter’s University Hospital, a member of Saint Peter’s Healthcare system, recently won the 2017 Women’s Choice Award after being voted one of America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Experience by women.

The Women’s Choice Award is the only healthcare distinction that considers female patient criteria. Criterion includes quality physician communications, cleanliness, the responsiveness of nurses and support staff and trusted referrals from other women.

The seal of approval from the Women’s Choice Award is widely recognized as a way to show women that an organization is dedicated to quality care for women and children.

According to Women’s Choice Award, the hospital is recognized as the best for women’s patient care are carefully chosen based on thousands of female patient surveys on top of extensive partnership research with the Wharton School of Business determining the differences between needs of men and women in a hospital setting.

Saint Peter’s University Hospital offers a wide breadth of high-quality services for women and children. They are leaders in prenatal care, gynecology, geriatrics, oncology, orthopedics and other pediatric specialties, said Philip Hartman, a news contact for the hospital.

“We approach each person as an individual, spiritual being who needs care beyond just the clinical side,” Hartman said.

Saint Peter’s is the premier organization for pre-and post-natal care for women. The hospital was also the first to have a nationally accredited breast center in the area.

The hospital is always looking for ways to continue improving. This past month Saint Peter’s opened a cardio-oncology center for women in response to research citing that women who have undergone chemotherapy treatment very often develop heart problems. The center has been successful thus far in providing high-quality care for their patients, Hartman said.

Saint Peter’s is also in the midst of building a birthing center in hopes of providing women who want to have natural births with that option. The hospital is always hoping to make things easier and more comfortable for women in terms of their care, said Scarlett Szymanski, director of ambulatory oncology, radiology, cardiology and breast center services at Saint Peter’s.

The services provided are unparalleled, but what makes the biggest difference between Saint Peter’s and other hospitals is the exceptional physicians, Szymanski said.

Saint Peter’s has invested in technology that provides the lowest doses in imaging, in 3-D mammograms and other new technologies that allow for the hospital to continue to be a leading patient care facility.

The biggest factor that sets Saint Peter’s apart from other organizations is the outstanding leadership of physicians within the hospital, Szymanski said. Physician leadership is what really makes a difference in providing the best care for patients.

“We are always striving to incorporate the best and newest technology at the hospital," she said. "The leadership in the hospitals allows us to be forerunners in our fields."

Christina Froelich is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Christina Froelich