Rutgers struggles in Spring Break trip to Florida

The only good thing about the spring break series for the Rutgers baseball team was the weather, as the Scarlet Knights (6-13) dropped six of eight games in Florida over the break.

Rutgers began its busy week by splitting a four-game series against North Florida (14-7) in Jacksonville, Florida. The Knights were blown out in the first two games — losing by scores of 15-1 on Friday and 13-2 in the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday. Rutgers managed to salvage the final two contests winning 2-1 in the second game on Saturday and finally scoring 12 runs on 18 hits on Sunday as they won 12-4. Seniors Gaby Rosa (2-1) and Christian Campbell (2-0) picked up the wins.

These are the only wins the Knights secured during this road trip.

Following an off day on Monday, Rutgers made a quick stop in Boca Raton for a midweek game against Florida Atlantic (14-5-1). Freshman Eric Reardon (1-1) took the loss in his first collegiate start and the Knights’ bats once again went quiet as they lost by a score of 14-2.

Next came a weekend series against then-No. 21 Florida Gulf Coast (18-3) in Fort Myers. Rutgers would get swept by the now-No. 15 Eagles with scores of 5-2, 13-4 and 8-3.

Only one starter pitched into the seventh inning the entire trip when Rosa went seven innings and picked up the win in the 2-1 victory against North Florida. Junior John O’Reilly (1-4) suffered two losses over the break while sophomore Serafino Brito (0-4) also went winless as he still searches for his first win of the season.

The rough trip wasn’t all on the team's arms though.

The Knights were outscored 73 to 28 over the eight-game stretch while also making 14 errors in the field.

Aside from the 12-run game on Sunday, Rutgers didn’t score more than four runs in a game, which is a tough way to try and win games for a team who is 33-8 when they score at least six runs in a game since 2015.

Senior Mike Carter saw a 20-game on base streak that dated back to last season snapped in the last game of the road trip. Nonetheless, Carter continues to lead the team with 28 hits, 6 doubles, 13 runs batted in and a batting average of .378 while starting in every game.

Only Carter, fellow senior Tom Marcinczyk, sophomore Jawuan Harris and freshman Kevin Welsh have started in all 19 games this season.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez