Corey Sanders throws hat in NBA ring for second straight season

22709_sanders2f

Sophomore guard Corey Sanders, the Rutgers men’s basketball team's leading scorer in each of his first two seasons in Piscataway, declared he’s testing the waters of the NBA draft for a second time on Thursday afternoon in an Instagram post.

The Rutgers men’s basketball program will have its breath held through the month of May for a second straight year.

Sophomore guard Corey Sanders, the Scarlet Knights’ leading scorer in each of his first two seasons in Piscataway, declared he’s testing the waters of the NBA draft for a second time on Thursday afternoon in an Instagram post.

The Lakeland, Florida, native won’t hire an agent, leaving his college eligibility in tact and leaving the option to return to Rutgers for his junior season in tact. He has until May 24th to decide whether he returns to school or forfeits his eligibility for good.

“I would like to thank my coaches and teammates for their support,” Sanders said in a statement. “My dream has always been to play in the NBA. I look forward to determining where I am in that journey, so that I put myself in the best position to get there.”

An Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection by both the league’s coaches and media in his second season, Sanders played in 33 games, 31 of which in the starting line-up. He was the engine of the Knights’ offense playing at the point, proved both through watching him on the court and by checking the stat sheet.

He led the team in usage, playing in 28.1 percent of the team’s possessions over the course of the season, resulting in a team-high in scoring (12.8 points per game), assists (3.2 per game), steals (1.3 per game) minutes (30.4 per game) and attempts (4.9 per game).

“We support Corey’s choice to enter his name into consideration for the draft,” said head coach Steve Pikiell, who praised Sanders development multiple times throughout his first year at the helm in Piscataway, in the statement. “The evaluation process will provide valuable information. It is in everyone’s best interest that he makes a thorough and informed decision about his future.”

For now, this dispels rumblings of Sanders’ possibly pursuing opportunities overseas. Depending on the evaluation he receives from scouts and draft experts, his decision between his multiple options — from the draft to overseas to returning to Rutgers — can swing in any direction.

But for the time being, there is only one certainty — Rutgers faces uncertainty for the next couple of months.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @briannnnf and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Brian Fonseca