Rutgers wraps up weekend at IC4A Championships

onlinebrendanjaegerdt116

Senior Brendan Jaeger contributed to a second-place finish in the 4x800-meter final at the IC4A Championships this weekend.

Just in time to turn the end of the indoor season around after many bottom tier results, the Rutgers men’s track and field athletes collected a host of titles with its performances this past weekend at the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) Championships in Boston, Massachusetts.

In many past events such as the Big Ten Indoor Championships, the Scarlet Knights fell short during the preliminaries in qualifying for the finals. But this weekend in Boston proved a prominent shift from that disappointing trend. 

At the IC4A Championships this weekend, it was in fact the freshmen athletes who rose above any low expectations inherent in a younger team.

Freshman jumper Tobi Tella took home a new personal record and a second-place finish in long jump on Saturday at 7.38 meters. From this, Tella was named to the All-East Track and Field Team, leaving his previous personal record far behind at 7.23 meters. In the triple jump event though, Tella did not see as much success, as he placed ninth with a distance of 14.67 meters.

Joining Tella was freshman sprinter Alonzo Aris also qualified for the 200-meter finals and took home a personal record on Sunday. He clocked in at 21:57, already beating his preliminary dash time of 21:70, placing him fifth overall.

In the successful performance made by the 4x400-meter relay team, freshman Jason Schweizer, freshman Sean Martinek, sophomore Isiah Odom and senior Brendan Jaeger advanced to the 4x800-meter final held on the final day of the IC4A Championships and brought home the second-place finish with a time of 7:28.72. All four athletes were also selected for the All-East Track and Field Team in light of their historic finish, finally breaking a 20-year Rutgers record.

The next feat for the Knights will be at the NCAA Championships this upcoming weekend in College Station, Texas, where only two Rutgers athletes, Izaiah Brown and Jermaine Griffith, will be competing in the 400-meter dash.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Libby Hur