Rutgers takes 6th at ECAC Championships

p10briasaundersdt416

Bryanna Grant set a new team record in the triple-jump at ECACs this past weekend.

The Rutgers women’s track and field team ended the indoor portion of its 2017 season over the weekend at the Boston University Track and Tennis Center for the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Track and Field Championships in Boston, Massachusetts.

The Scarlet Knights finished sixth overall out of 44 Division I collegiate teams at the ECAC Indoor Championships with a total of 38 points. Albany earned the ECAC team championship with 62 points — following in second and third place were Liberty with 54 points and Monmouth with 48 points, respectively.

Rutgers ended the season with several outstanding performances during the championship meet — junior Bria Saunders was named the ECAC Indoor Championship Most Valuable Performer, and senior Bryanna Grant set a new record for the Knights in the triple jump.

Saunders placed second in both the 60-meter (7.57) and 200-meter (23.93) events, earning her a pair of silver medals and the ECAC Most Valuable Performer achievement. The junior was only bested by .01 seconds in both events.

Grant earned her fourth triple jump title of the 2017 campaign and set a new record for Rutgers with a measurement of 12.62 meters — the former school record of 12.58 meters was established back in 2012. In breaking that record, the senior also vanquished her previous personal best of 12.42 meters set only two weekends ago at the Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Rutgers also saw a pair of notable third-place efforts from sophomore Phyllis Gordon and senior Sarah Robbie.

Gordon set a season best in the 400-meter relay with a time of 55.15, while Robbie ran the 800-meter relay in 2:09.76 — a new personal record for the senior.

Junior Brianna Haspel also set a new personal record at the ECAC Championship meet with a time of 2:53.21 in the 1000-meter relay.

Graduate athletes Alayna Famble and Paige Senatore set season bests in the 400-meter (56.35) and 3000-meter (9:52.43) relays, respectively.

Additionally, the 4x800-meter relay team of Haspel, sophomore Jenna Sobieski and seniors Nicole Nicholas and Kaitlyn Bedard placed 14th overall with a team of 9:14.67.

Overall, the Knights saw three new personal records set and five top-five performances in Boston. This is a marked improvement for a team which only saw two top-five efforts only a year ago at the 2016 ECAC Indoor Championships.

Rutgers will jump right into the outdoor portion of the 2017 season late next week at the Bulls Invitational in Tampa, Florida. The meet will span from March 16 to 17.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton