Undocumented Rutgers student is at risk of being detained, according to faculty union

18118697_1349600808460203_528804080633604630_n
Photo by Facebook |

Carimer Andujar is allegedly being threatened with deportation. In response, Rutgers AAUP-AFT is organizing an emergency meeting tonight at 8 p.m. in its union office to plan a course of action. 

Carimer Andujar, president of UndocuRutgers, is allegedly at risk of being detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), according to the Rutgers American Association of University Professors-American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT).

Andujar said she was just granted an extension on her Deferred Action for Childhood Actions (DACA) two days ago and is no longer in danger of being deported. Instead, she is at risk for being detained when she appears for her interview with ICE on May 9. 

The organization is hosting a meeting tonight, April 25, at 8 p.m. at the Rutgers AAUP-AFT union office to organize a plan of action in support of Andujar.

The School of Engineering junior was allegedly called in for an interview with the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on May 9, according to a Rutgers AAUP-AFT Facebook post.

“Whether ICE is targeting her out of bureaucratic error or because Carimer is an outspoken community activist, we don't know, but we plan to mobilize the broadest defense of our friend and student who has been called in for an interview with an ICE deportation officer on May 9,” the Facebook post reads.

The reported increase in immigration enforcement in the New Brunswick area has been causing distress among members of the Rutgers community, regardless of their immigration status, said University spokesperson Karen Smith in an email.

The stress and anxiety are greater for undocumented students who believe they are afforded the protections of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, she said.

"We have been aggressive in our commitment to protecting student privacy and to providing legal resources and other assistance to any students affected by these actions and we will continue to do so," Smith said.

Editor's Note: This is an ongoing story and has been updated to reflect recent developments.  For an updated version, click here. 

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is the associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.