Rutgers falls in 12th inning to inside-the-park home run

backmikecarterdimitri228

The Rutgers baseball team lost 10-9 in walk off fashion on Wednesday night in a wild game against Seton Hall — losing both games of the home-and-home midweek matchup versus the Pirates.

In a game that took a little over five hours, the Scarlet Knights (13-21, 2-4) lost in the 12th inning on an inside-the-park home run by Rob Dadona. It was the first extra inning game Rutgers has played this year.

The game had three lead changes and two ties through nine innings and was locked at 9-9 until the Pirates (18-16) came to bat in the 12th.

Going into the bottom of the ninth, the Knights were up 9-7 after scoring 2 in the top of the inning thanks to a balk that brought in freshman Tommy Genuario who pinch ran for junior third baseman Milo Freeman, who had worked a walk. Later during the at-bat, sophomore centerfielder Jawuan Harris hit an RBI double to left field that made it 9-7 in favor of Rutgers.

The Pirates never gave up though, scoring 2 runs in both the eighth and ninth innings off of senior Max Herrmann, who came in with two outs and two on in the bottom of the eighth. Hermann allowed three straight singles that would tie the game at 7-7 at that point.

After the Knights scored twice in the top of the ninth, Herrmann came back out — now in line for his seventh save on the season, but Seton Hall wasn’t done yet. After striking out the first batter, Herrmann gave up back-to-back singles and a walk to load the bases before walking in a run to make it 9-8. The Pirates made it 9-9 after a fielder’s choice and the game was headed to extra innings.

Rutgers and Seton Hall traded zeros for the first two innings of extras, with the Knights' best chance of scoring coming in the top of the 11th inning. With runners on first and third with two outs and Harris coming to bat, Rutgers seemed poised to steal one. Harris would end up flying out and the game would continue.

But not for long.

After freshman reliever Kyle Muller got the first two batters to ground out, Dadona sent the home crowd in attendance home happy with an inside-the-park home run.

Sophomore right hander Dante Scafidi started the game but left in the fourth inning with two outs. Despite only giving up one hit, Scafidi walked six batters and gave up 3 runs.

Offensively, each Knight starter had a hit with the top of the order leading the way. Senior designated hitter Mike Carter added four more hits to his team leading total, including a home run. Both Harris and sophomore left fielder Mike Martinez also had two hits apiece.

The tough loss came on the heels of another disappointing game Rutgers played against Seton Hall in which they lost 9-6 at Bainton Field.

The Knights hope to regain its momentum from last week as it heads to Iowa City, Iowa this weekend to take on the Hawkeyes (22-12, 5-4) in another Big Ten weekend series.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez