University releases details regarding parking at commencement

parkingcommencementgooglemaps
Photo by Google Maps |

The University recently announced details for parking at this year's commencement ceremony. Students will be eligible to receive parking passes until April 17.

Parking passes for Rutgers' 251st-anniversary commencement are now available, according to a press release from Rutgers Today.

Students graduating on May 14 are eligible for two parking passes each. The passes are given out on a first-come, first-serve basis, but students are only eligible if they apply online. Registration is open until April 17 at 9 a.m.

Registrants will be mailed maps, driving instructions and special vehicle hangtags color-coded to specific parking zones in late April, according to the press release.

Student parking passes issued by the Rutgers Department of Transportation that are valid for the school year will no longer be valid for commencement. Commencement hangtags are not needed for collegiate convocations and receptions held on other days, according to the press release.

Rutgers—New Brunswick’s annual commencement is set to take place at High Point Solutions Stadium on Busch campus on May 14 at 10 a.m. Gates open at 8 a.m., and guests are advised to arrive early to accommodate the time it will take to park, take a complimentary bus to the stadium and check in. The shuttle buses will begin operating at 7 a.m. 

More than 30,000 people are expected to attend the commencement this year.

Bags or purses larger than 4 and a half inches by 6 and a half inches will not be permitted. Items can be brought inside in clear bags, up to one gallon in size, according to the press release.

Once student registration for hang tags has ended, the school will make hang tags available for purchase for $5 on a first come, first serve basis until May 1. After May 1, parking hangtags may be available at a cash lot on Livingston campus.

Alternately, there is free on-street parking and paid parking lots on the College Avenue campus.  

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is the associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.