WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 21, 2017

laurels_and_darts

RUTGERS HAS A BIG HEART

The Rutgers chapter of the national organization Big Hearts to Little Hearts helps raise money and awareness for those suffering from congenital heart disease. This disease is the No. 1 birth defect-related killer. The main goal of the organization is to donate to hospitals and research. We laurel the Rutgers chapter of the Big Hearts to Little Hearts Foundation for working to help this underfunded cause.

LET US SHOW SOME CONCERN

As it does annually, the Rutgers University Board of Governors held an open budget hearing to allow students to voice their concerns about tuition, fees and housing charges. This is one of the only two formal opportunities for students to give their input on the budget before it is finalized. This year, only four students were in the audience. We dart the University for not properly advertising the meeting so that students would be able to attend this event and take part in discussions.

TAKE BACK THE NIGHT

More than 250 students marched from College Hall to Voorhees Mall for the fourth annual Take Back the Night protest. This demonstration is used to raise awareness for sexual assault. The march is also a form of protest against sexual and gender-based violence, and support for survivors. It included performances such as skits, commentaries and poetry. We laurel the Women Organizing Against Harassment (WOAH) for continuing its tradition of fighting for a serious and prevalent cause.

INCONVENIENCE WITHOUT STORES

A petition of more than 1,000 signatures has been organized by the Douglass Governing Council to advocate for the addition of more grocery options on Cook and Douglass campuses. The petition was created after students noticed that there was no place to buy basic household supplies or food after a certain time. We dart this lack of convenience stores on the Cook and Douglass campuses for inconveniencing the students that live there.

BREAKTHROUGH WITH BACTERIA

Rutgers researchers joined efforts with a group from the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark to find a breakthrough in tuberculosis treatment. The paper that they published outlined that finding new binding sites for treatment drugs can block bacteria replication. This means that they can halt the tuberculosis bacteria from replicating. We laurel this team of researchers for carrying on the legacy of Rutgers and for improving the treatment of a dangerous disease that affects so many.

SOMETHING MUST CHANGE

There has been an increasing rate of opioid abuse and addiction throughout the country, and to target this, the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy has released an opioid toolkit. Studies have found that over 63 percent of total overdose deaths in 2015 were related to opioid abuse, with New Jersey having one of the highest opioid abuse rates. Although this toolkit is a great innovation from the Rutgers community, we dart these high rates of opioid abuse that require the need for such a toolkit.