WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 7, 2017

laurels_and_darts

PRIZES FOR PHILOSOPHY

Rutgers' Department of Philosophy is known for its reputation as one of the best in the nation. But now, it is receiving international recognition as well. Philosophers from Rutgers have received many national and international honors, awards and fellowships from other prestigious universities such as Oxford, Harvard, Princeton and Stanford. Members of the department's faculty Alvin Goldman and Ernest Sosa were also ranked first and third greatest living English-speaking epistemologists. We laurel the Department of Philosophy for excelling and bringing a proud name to Rutgers.

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY

Due to the heavy rain on Thursday, many of the Rutgers buses were running slowly, sometimes even delaying buses by 20 minutes. There was also a higher volume of students on each bus, due to the poor weather conditions outside. This weather came with confusion as the week prior has temperatures in the 60s and sunny skies. We dart the transportation system for not running as efficiently in a time where it was most needed.

PSA FROM THE MSA

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) is in the process of hosting its annual Islamic Awareness Week. The purpose of this week-long event is to educate the Rutgers community about the Islamic religion and culture. Hosted within a tent outside of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus, this event includes discussions, activities, food, art and a henna tattoo table. We laurel the MSA for sharing their culture with the campus and doing so in such an interactive and fun way.

WE WANT FOOD!

After Rutgers decided not to renew its lease with Au Bon Pain on the College Avenue campus, students were left with the promise that the cafe would be replaced with Panera Bread. Rutgers reached a contract with the restaurant at the beginning of the spring semester, although plans to bring Panera Bread as a replacement were circulating at the end of the winter semester. Matt Scobbie, the senior real estate manager for Panera Bread, stated that Panera is on track to open sometime in May. We dart the planning of this restaurant for making students wait a semester and possibly a summer before a grand opening.

FASHION SHOW FOR THE FIGHT

Rutgers held its first-annual "Denim Day," which is a denim-based fashion show that works to combat stigma and misconceptions surrounding campus sexual assaults. It also attempts to prevent sexual violence and also provides a place of self-expression for victims of sexual abuse. The event was at the College Avenue Student Center with hundreds of students in attendance. We laurel the Rutgers community for not only organizing but also for being a part of such an important event.

WELCOME AND FAREWELL

Rutgers is excited to welcome the new chancellor, Debasish Dutta this July. Dutta, who was the former provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Purdue University, was chosen from more than 100 potential candidates in a national search. Dutta even plans on living on campus to be closer to campus culture. And although we are happy about his arrival we dart the fact that we are losing Chancellor Richard L. Edwards who has been such a prominent member of our community for almost 12 years. We wish him good luck.