Corey Sanders elects to return to Rutgers for junior year

coreysandersjeffrey117

After another year of flirting with the NBA Draft, guard Corey Sanders has elected to return to Rutgers for at least one more season as a Scarlet Knight, per Twitter.

Sanders averaged 12.8 points and 3.3 assists per game in his second season as the starting point guard for Rutgers compared to the 15.9 points and 4.3 assists he averaged in his freshman campaign.

The Lakeland, Florida native worked out with the Sacramento Kings on Monday and afterwards, said that he was "leaning towards coming out" and wanted to get feedback from the NBA franchise.

Clearly, the feedback he received from the Kings was not encouraging enough for him to take a shot at the NBA. Their last pick is 34, where Sanders would be an extreme reach based on pre-draft rankings.

Sanders also said he would have a discussion with his "people" on Tuesday, likely where the decision was made.

Sanders was not ranked as one of the top 100 players in the draft by CBS Sports, NBADraft.net or DraftExpress. There are 60 picks in the draft.

If he did not find himself on an NBA roster, other alternatives for Sanders would have included the NBA Development League (D-League) or signing a professional contract overseas.

Sanders did the same thing last year in declaring for the draft without hiring an agent, but later elected to return to school as well.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @griffinwhitmer and@TargumSports on Twitter

Griffin Whitmer