Rutgers—Newark senior killed in hit-and-run accident days before graduation

murderrutgersedu
Photo by rutgers.edu |

Days before receiving his diploma from Rutgers—Newark, School of Public Affairs and Administration senior Mujahid Henry was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident. Henry was a promising student and an esteemed campaign worker for gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy. 

A Rutgers—Newark student is dead only days before receiving his degree after being the victim of a hit-and-run incident, according to NJ Advance Media.

Mujahid Henry, a School of Public Affairs and Administration senior, was thrown into parked cars after being hit by a 2007 Ford Escape on East Linden Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on Friday.

Henry was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Associated Press.

The car reportedly fled the scene of the crime, where the driver, Eduardo Perez, later abandoned the car at the 700 block of Lidgerwood Avenue after crashing into multiple parked cars.

Perez was found by Elizabeth police only minutes later and has since been charged with death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal crime, according to NJ Advance Media.

In an email to the student body, the Chancellor of Rutgers—Newark, Nancy Cantor described Henry as “beloved and admired by student peers, faculty, and staff alike,” according to NJ Advance Media.

“Undoubtedly a star on the rise, he was characteristically hard-working, aspiring to earn a graduate degree and go into politics, amazing all around him with the energy that enabled him to be such a success in college while holding down two jobs and volunteering in support of local public officials," Cantor said.

According to NBC, Henry worked for Democrat Phil Murphy's gubernatorial campaign and was a legislative aide to Leonard M. Luciano.

Following the incident, the campaign posted on their Facebook page, describing Henry as a "bright, outstanding worker who was looking forward to utilizing his college degree to make a difference in his community."

Henry transferred to Rutgers after attending Essex County College, Cantor said.

“Losing a member of our community is a shock, but it is especially difficult to lose someone on the cusp of entering a new era in life," she said.

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.

Kira Herzog is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is the news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @kiraherzog1 for more.

Chloe Dopico

Kira Herzog