New reports show how the aftermath of Hurricane Irma will affect the Jersey Shore

hurricaneirmawikimedia
Photo by WIKIMEDIA COMMONS |

After following a route across Florida, Hurricane Irma has begun to move east towards New Jersey. The effects will be minor but are expected to influence the tides and currents along the Jersey Shore.

With the destruction of Hurricane Irma just recently being evaluated along the western Florida border, it is beginning to dissipate and move toward the East Coast, including New Jersey.

Although New Jersey is expected to get no major fallout, Hurricane Irma — now a “post-tropical cyclone” — is expected to pose a major threat to the currents and tides along the Garden State.

"Dangerous and potentially life-threatening conditions" exist for New Jersey’s beaches throughout the week, according to NJ Advanced Media.

While the precipitation might be minimal, the coastal effects will still greatly affect any swimmers or surfers. Lance Franck, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service, told NJ Advanced Media there is a good chance the shore will experience bigger waves and stronger rip currents.

"Being post-Labor Day, a lot of the beach patrols are not in place," he said. "We're concerned with the nice weather coming up and the ocean temperatures being relatively warm, people may be swimming at unguarded beaches. They should only swim at guarded beaches.”

The storm, which hit Florida over the weekend, was once a Category 5 storm packing wind speeds of nearly 185 miles-per-hour. The hurricane was originally expected to hit the Eastern coast of Florida and gradually make its way up the Eastern seaboard to the Carolinas, before unexpectedly turning west and nailing Floridian cities like Tampa, Marco Island and the Florida Keys.

Besides Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Jose sits about 50 miles Northeast of Grand Turk Island,  according to USA Today. While Hurricane Jose making landfall in the United States is considered unlikely, “rip currents, beach erosion and rough surf are all possible along the East Coast,” including New Jersey, according to USA Today.

"Until Jose is further along on its loop, the models are likely to have large errors, and we should not take too much comfort (or indulge in too much angst) over a particular set of model runs," said Jeff Masters, a Weather Underground meteorologist told USA Today.

Regardless if Hurricane Jose has a major impact on the Eastern seaboard, the hurricane season is far from over, according to ABC news. While the official hurricane season runs from June to November, the most active months are August, September and October.

On Aug. 9, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association announced there was a 60 percent likelihood of an above-normal season, with a prediction of 14-19 named storms in the Atlantic ocean.

According to ABC News, the Atlantic ocean is one to two degrees warmer than normal, which is a large contributor to the above-average hurricane activity.

"The most important thing right now is that people are prepared," Bell said to ABC News.

Chloe Dopico