Police investigate weekend assault outside of Olde Queens Tavern

eastoncrimebriefjeffrey

The RUPD is investigating an aggravated assault that took place around 1 a.m. Saturday. The victim was sent to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

An aggravated assault outside of Olde Queens Tavern sent one man to the hospital around 1 a.m. Saturday, said Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) Captain Paul Fischer.

The victim, who is affiliated with the University, was waiting in line outside of the tavern, Fischer said. He allegedly got into a verbal altercation with five other males, which then turned physical. The victim was struck several times before the perpetrators fled the scene.

The description of the perpetrators is limited at this time, but one was said to be wearing a striped shirt, while another had a multicolored goatee.

“(I) just saw this kid sitting outside of Hansel (n’ Griddle) and it looked like he was covered in blood literally all over his chest,” said Samantha Raineri, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior. “There were cops everywhere … I also only walked by it, I didn't stop and stare or anything. There was blood outside Hidden Grounds though.”

No weapons were used during the altercation and the victim was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to a Crime Alert issued by Fischer.

Anyone with information regarding the identity of the perpetrators is urged to contact the New Brunswick Police Department Detective Bureau at 732-745-5217.

“I was just walking and the cops were like putting the caution tape in the whole block and telling everyone to keep it along and there was just a lot of blood,” said Katherine Marte a School of Arts and Sciences senior. 

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.