Rutgers takes second place at Fordham Invitational

onlinedommunsondt116

The Rutgers men's cross country team met for its second race of the year in Van Cortlandt Park for the Fordham Invitational on Saturday.

The team looked to take its second first-place win on the season following a victory at the Lehigh Invitational. The Scarlet Knights managed to take second this weekend, losing only to Manhattan.

The gun went off around 10 a.m., signaling the start of the 8,000-meter race.

The first Knight to cross the finish line in the Bronx was sophomore Cole Pschunder. He finished first for Rutgers in his second straight race and placed second overall in his last two races. He finished with a time of 26:18.09, only 1.5 seconds behind Manhattan’s John Dove.

Pschunder led the pack of Rutgers runners that finished in the top 10. The Knights' first seven across the line were 2-6-8-9-12-17-18. Their top 10 finishers were junior Dom Munson in sixth, junior Conor Murphy in eighth and behind him in ninth was senior Alexander Livernois. The last runner to score for the Knights was freshman Patrick Walsh who finished 12th.  Munson finished with a time of 26:46.04. Murphy finished shortly after with a time of 26:51.43. Livernois trailed very slightly behind but with a solid time of 26:54.02.

With several runners finishing together in the top 10 and several that finished together outside the top 15, head coach Mike Mulqueen's pack strategy was on display again. Freshmen Billy Hill, Tom Holster and Genaro Anzalone finished together in 17th, 18th and 19th, respectively, with an average time of 27.24. Pack running will help these young runners grow together and as they improve together.

This race is a great prelude to the rest of the season. Rutgers will travel to the Bronx and race on the Van Cortlandt Park course two more times this season. The first event will be the Metropolitan Championships on Oct.13. The next and final time the Knights will be in Van Cortlandt Park this season will be Nov. 18 when they participate in the IC4A Championships.

Other than falling to Manhattan this weekend the Knights showed a lot of positive signs. They were able to beat teams like Fordham, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Princeton. When there is a race involving any Division I foe, it is vital that Rutgers secure a win. 

The Knights will have a chance to prove themselves next when the team laces up again this Friday at the Rider Invitational at Rosedale Park.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Nick Bove