Rutgers places 19th out of 22 teams at Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown

p11robinsondt315

The Rutgers women’s cross country team placed 19th out of a 22-team field over the weekend, earning 521 points overall and seeing several positive efforts by freshmen and veteran runners alike at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown hosted by Boston College in Boston, Massachusetts.

The 5-kilometer (5k) race at Franklin Park resulted in another championship for No. 7 Providence (71 points), its third consecutive Beantown team title and its fourth since 2013.

Rounding out the top-five were several other U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) ranked teams, including No. 18 Indiana (78 points), No. 25 Georgetown (78 points), Dartmouth (132 points) and Cornell (143 points).

Leading the pack yet again for Rutgers was freshman Olympia Martin, who finished 69th overall in the 5-kilometer, running the route in 18:33.

This was Martin’s second consecutive race leading the Knights roster — she also placed in the top-10 overall at the Lehigh Invitational at the beginning of September.

Following Martin for Rutgers was another freshman, Kiera Nealon. She placed 105th overall with a time of 18:56.

Head coach James Robinson thought it was a  “great sign” that his Rutgers squad was led by two freshmen, according to the Scarlet Knight website

Robinson is leaning heavily on his current freshmen and upcoming recruiting classes to induce a sort of renaissance for both the cross country and track and field programs at Rutgers.

Thus far, Robinson has to be pleased with the immediate impact runners like Martin and Nealon have had this early in their collegiate careers.

Outside of Martin's and Nealon’s performances, the Knights saw five new personal records (PR) established by several veteran runners.

Sophomore Emma Bergman, who placed 115th overall in the 5-kilometer, finished the race in 19:04 — besting her previous PR of 19:51.5 set last year at the Metropolitan Championships.

Senior Alexandra Juzwiak finished the race 128th overall with a time of 19:12, ousting her PR of 19:33 set way back in 2014 at the Metropolitan Championships.

Sophomore Stephanie Mauer completed the race in 19:23, good for 148th overall. Mauer’s previous record of 20:12.4 was established at last season’s Metropolitan Championships.

Junior Genevieve Cickavage finished 158th overall, setting a new PR of 19:33 which trumped her previous time of 20:15 set at the Monmouth Invitational in 2015.

Sophomore Lou Mialhe was the final Knight to earn a new PR, finishing her first collegiate 5k in 19:54, landing her 170th overall.

Freshman Kaitlyn Bragen, in only her second meet for Rutgers, finished the 5k in 19:48 — placing 168th overall.

Finally, sophomore Kelsey Farbanish finished 182nd overall with a time of 20:43.

Next time out, the Knights will return to the Lehigh Goodman Campus Cross Country Course in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania this Friday for the Paul Short Invitational 6-kilometer race hosted by Lehigh.

For updates on the Rutgers women's cross country team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton